PVC Macs Trending This Autumn?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Shinytrench1

PVC Macs Trending This Autumn?

Post by Shinytrench1 »

I don't know what others think but I reckon PVC raincoats and jackets are more mainstream fashion this Autumn. I was in London at the weekend and saw quite a few including - a long brown PVC mac (worn with sexy boots), a shirt blue PVC jacket (worn by a younger woman on the tube), and two classic shiny black macs - one above the knee and one below. All very sexy! And I saw this piece which maybe confirms my hunch? https://highstylife.com/pvc-trend-making-comeback/
ilikecoated

Re: PVC Macs Trending This Autumn?

Post by ilikecoated »

Did you have a closer look at the date of that article ?
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

ilikecoated wrote: September 25th, 2018, 11:20 am Did you have a closer look at the date of that article ?
April 2015!
Shinytrench1

Post by Shinytrench1 »

Whoops - I hadn't noticed the date but I think my general point about seeing a lot more PVC macs and jackets around now is still valid?
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Shinytrench1 wrote: September 25th, 2018, 1:08 pm Whoops - I hadn't noticed the date but I think my general point about seeing a lot more PVC macs and jackets around now is still valid?
Maybe you are correct?
Just have to wait and see!
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

OK I must admit that I wanted to spoil the fun a little.
It is indeed difficult to find out whether the trend is already over or not.
There are not a lot of shiny coats in stores according to my gut feeling. But there is a small number of shiny vinyl trousers available.
On the other hand I read an article in a Sunday newspaper that shiny vinyl was still trendy. Depending on brevity there would be different "grades": Patent leather shoes for the not so brave, trousers for the "advanced" and a coat for the "maximum score" in coolness. This ist quite interesting because in the seventies and eighties vinyl coats were very common and fashionable while one needed quite some brevity for wearing vinyl pants in public. I liked the sight of both of course.
Sophie-Cagoule

Post by Sophie-Cagoule »

Primark has a great range in some bright colours, especially like the turquoise ones!
merv

Post by merv »

I suspect that with the exception of festivals, where something waterproof is a necessity in the UK, that pvc rainwear has never really made much of a comeback. Think the shops selling the stuff have two markets: the festival goers, and the people who buy it up hoping to make a profit on ebay because it is sold out. Judging by how long things remain there I suspect this optimism is misplaced.