M&S, Richard Shops etc.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
plasphil

M&S, Richard Shops etc.

Post by plasphil »

All this interest in good old 'Woolies' pacamacs and C&A raincoats, has reminded me of other shops that I used to notice plastic rainwear in, 40 odd years ago of course!

Does anyone remember Marks & Spencer sold fairly cheap plastic raincoats for one or two spring seasons? They were a sort of textured vinyl with elastic around the cuffs and a big hood, blue, black, green and red were the colours I think?

Richard Shops were quite a big chain in the seventies, my local one used to display a semi see-through plastic mac draped over the shoulders of a model in the window. I think I only ever saw semi-clear white or yellow ones, they differed from the Tesco macs as they had a drawstring around the waist.

Asda stores were growing in the UK in the seventies and I remember seeing some 'jelly' jackets in the Woking store. They weren't like the Tesco ones, still had the chunky rope around the hood and bottom but the plastic was that nice smooth crackly stuff that sticks to itself.

Ah well, enough reminiscing for now.......

Phil
Rives

Re: M&S, Richard Shops etc.

Post by Rives »

I do remember M&S having large stocks of nylon pakamacs in grey, brown and navy. I would dread being taken there as a teenager, hoping Mother wouldn't stop to check them out, knowing it would then be a certainty that I'd have another nylon mac for a further 12 months or so!
Sophie-Cagoule

Re: M&S, Richard Shops etc.

Post by Sophie-Cagoule »

I remember the blue clear pvc jelly jackets, sadly many tore where the rope pulled through.

I have one still somewhere