Mackintosh

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Taffmac

Re: Mackintosh

Post by Taffmac »

rainwear-experience wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm
spitfire617 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Domino wrote: January 10th, 2019, 11:40 am Joking aside, the problem I have with it is that it is just plain wrong. It comes from the name of the inventor of the original material, Charles Macintosh. He simply didn't have a 'k' in his name. Would we readily accept 'berbury' or 'barber' or even 'huver' or 'byro'? Would we think "Ooh, how trendy! Here's a new way of spelling it. Must follow suit." or would we think "How ignorant!" ?
Wikipedia says "the variant spelling is now standard" but what they mean is "the mis-spelling is now out of control".
Where did the "K" come from anyway?
The alphabet shop

Apparently in Wales there's no letter "K"

Hopefully no one wants to buy a Kit Kat
There's no "V", "X" or "Z" in Welsh either. Try finding a sexy vinyl raincoat in Primark.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

Taffmac wrote: January 11th, 2019, 4:52 pm
rainwear-experience wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:40 pm
spitfire617 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm

Where did the "K" come from anyway?
The alphabet shop

Apparently in Wales there's no letter "K"

Hopefully no one wants to buy a Kit Kat
There's no "V", "X" or "Z" in Welsh either. Try finding a sexy vinyl raincoat in Primark.
Thats the Welsh for you stealing all our letters :D
bjhaus

Post by bjhaus »

No V in Weish?

What about all the Welsh families called Evans?
mackintoshed

Post by mackintoshed »

Yes there are several families in Wales called Evans, that doesn't alter the fact that there is no 'v' in the Welsh alphabet. We have Jones, Williams Hughes etc, all as common names, but they are not Welsh. This is obvious in the spelling. These names are the bi-products of English colonialism and its deliberate attempt at forcing an English hegemony on all its colonies. The English Empire wasn't only guilt of atrocities in foreign lands, Wales Ireland and Scotland too have been victims of imperialism.
For V see f
For F see FF
I hope, bjhaus, this clears matters up for you.
rainwear-experience

mackintoshed wrote: January 12th, 2019, 10:58 am Yes there are several families in Wales called Evans, that doesn't alter the fact that there is no 'v' in the Welsh alphabet. We have Jones, Williams Hughes etc, all as common names, but they are not Welsh. This is obvious in the spelling. These names are the bi-products of English colonialism and its deliberate attempt at forcing an English hegemony on all its colonies. The English Empire wasn't only guilt of atrocities in foreign lands, Wales Ireland and Scotland too have been victims of imperialism.
For V see f
For F see FF
I hope, bjhaus, this clears matters up for you.
FFS :lol: :lol: :lol:
mackintoshed

Post by mackintoshed »

Nice to see some intelligent input by rainwer-experience. The bigoted 'Right', after all, have never been noted for their debating skills.
rainwear-experience

mackintoshed wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm Nice to see some intelligent input by rainwer-experience. The bigoted 'Right', after all, have never been noted for their debating skills.
Well I've been accused of a lot of things in my years but never of belonging to "The bigoted 'Right'" :lol: :lol: :lol:

In one very small part of Wales the phrase "sense of humour" seems to have gone missing

Why not spend some quality time with yourself and try to remove the chip from your shoulder and the clouds from your eyes and lighten up
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

rainwear-experience wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:31 pm
mackintoshed wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:04 pm Nice to see some intelligent input by rainwer-experience. The bigoted 'Right', after all, have never been noted for their debating skills.
Well I've been accused of a lot of things in my years but never of belonging to "The bigoted 'Right'" :lol: :lol: :lol:

In one very small part of Wales the phrase "sense of humour" seems to have gone missing

Why not spend some quality time with yourself and try to remove the chip from your shoulder and the clouds from your eyes and lighten up
Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

At last I am part of "The Bigoted Right".

As soon as a topic comes in which I am interested, I'll take on whoever has the opposite view.
rainwear-experience

spitfire617 wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:38 pm
rainwear-experience wrote: January 12th, 2019, 12:31 pm

Ooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: