Mackintosh

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Sophie-Cagoule

Re: Mackintosh

Post by Sophie-Cagoule »

To get back to the topic (please folks :) xxx )

Always found the word Plastic Mac much more sexier than Macintosh for me or pac a mac more fun and lighter, i guess like the garments, each word or term has a different mental association for us all :)

Soph x
Mightymach

Post by Mightymach »

mackintoshed wrote: September 15th, 2018, 8:50 pm Anyone on here, who loves macks, also love the sound of the word 'mackintosh'?
The word mackintosh always conjures up the sight and sound and smell of rubber.Mac can be both rubber or plastic (pvc).The Who’s song Substitute (I see right through your plastic Mac) always makes me think of nudity under the Mac the sight of someone like this and the thoughts of what it must feel like and experience. Similarly rubber thoughts,is she naked under it and what she is feeling if so,also the sound of being in a rubber mackintosh and listening to its crackling when caressed
tiger4macs

Post by tiger4macs »

I agree with mightymach: the very word mackintosh, especially when whispered, is by coincidence deliciously onomatopoeic: whisper it loudly and you can hear the swish and rustle! And the word sure as hell gets my attention too! My thanks to all Scots ancestors for the name!

Just think: if it had been Charles Abernethy, or Bottomley, or Claridge etc.... would it have sounded so good? NO WAY!
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Just think: if it had been Charles Abernethy, or Bottomley, or Claridge etc.... would it have sounded so good? NO WAY!
Certainly can't fault that line of argument :D
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

tiger4macs wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:00 am I agree with mightymach: the very word mackintosh, especially when whispered, is by coincidence deliciously onomatopoeic: whisper it loudly and you can hear the swish and rustle! And the word sure as hell gets my attention too! My thanks to all Scots ancestors for the name!

Its probably because someone is spitting in your ear :)
Domino

Post by Domino »

Joking aside, the problem I have with it is that it is just plain wrong. It comes from the name of the inventor of the original material, Charles Macintosh. He simply didn't have a 'k' in his name. Would we readily accept 'berbury' or 'barber' or even 'huver' or 'byro'? Would we think "Ooh, how trendy! Here's a new way of spelling it. Must follow suit." or would we think "How ignorant!" ?
Wikipedia says "the variant spelling is now standard" but what they mean is "the mis-spelling is now out of control".
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Domino wrote: January 10th, 2019, 11:40 am Joking aside, the problem I have with it is that it is just plain wrong. It comes from the name of the inventor of the original material, Charles Macintosh. He simply didn't have a 'k' in his name. Would we readily accept 'berbury' or 'barber' or even 'huver' or 'byro'? Would we think "Ooh, how trendy! Here's a new way of spelling it. Must follow suit." or would we think "How ignorant!" ?
Wikipedia says "the variant spelling is now standard" but what they mean is "the mis-spelling is now out of control".
Where did the "K" come from anyway?
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

spitfire617 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Domino wrote: January 10th, 2019, 11:40 am Joking aside, the problem I have with it is that it is just plain wrong. It comes from the name of the inventor of the original material, Charles Macintosh. He simply didn't have a 'k' in his name. Would we readily accept 'berbury' or 'barber' or even 'huver' or 'byro'? Would we think "Ooh, how trendy! Here's a new way of spelling it. Must follow suit." or would we think "How ignorant!" ?
The alphabet shop

Apparently in Wales there's no letter "K"

Hopefully no one wants to buy a Kit Kat
Domino

Post by Domino »

spitfire617 wrote: January 10th, 2019, 2:35 pm
Since you ask, Paul, possibly from confusion witn the architect / artist, Charles Rennie Mackintosh. He was born McIntosh, but both he and his father changed the spelling to Mackintosh for unknown reasons.
Historically, the name McIntosh derives from the Gaelic, Mac an Toisich, which meant 'son of the chief'' and later became a clan name. The origin is obviously the same for Taoiseach, the Irish title for its prime minister. Remember the Scots originally came from Ireland.
In the UK (and probably elsewhere) the variations in spelling of surnames came about because those who recorded the names (be they monks or lay clerks) just spelled the names in the way they thought appropriate and those giving the names to be recorded were mostly illiterate.
Bet you wish you'd never asked now, eh? :lol:
plasphil

Post by plasphil »

When I was last in Glasgow there was a pink bus with 'THE MACKINTOSH EXPERIENCE' sign written on it. Imagine my disappointment when it turned out to be all about old furniture and buildings etc.!

Phil