buying raincoats off ebay auctions

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

buying raincoats off ebay auctions

Post by rainwearseeker »

Do you find ebay auctions very annoying because of the competitive nature and potentially high prices in the end? whenever it comes to a rare raincoat I can never win an auction because of unexpected snipes at absurd bids.
rainwear-experience

Re: buying raincoats off ebay auctions

Post by rainwear-experience »

I managed to win an auction for sour grapes once, let me know where to send them

All you have to do to win an auction is make the highest bid

If you bid as much as you want to pay and someone wants to pay more then thats life, it might be frustrating but not much you can do about it
merv

Post by merv »

even worse, bought one recently from some woman who seems to go by the name rainkote (I see no reason why I shouldnt name and shame) and it absolutely reeked of smoke, how anybody can send something out in that condition is beyond me. Hopefully the negative feedback focused her mind
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I once bought a raincoat that was much higher than the price should have been because a competing seller was offering a high price. I offered a slighter higher price so the seller let me buy it for that much.
TStorm56

Post by TStorm56 »

Competitive bidding is part of the process with eBay. You have to be willing to pay a high price for those rare items or else someone is going to get it. I have seen some outrageous bidding wars on some items though. A few months ago there was this red vintage Guy Cotten long raincoat along with long red overalls on eBay UK, the winner of it paid almost $500 for it! Crazy stuff! I also saw an insane bidding war go for a vintage green Helly Hansen sou'wester, final bid was for around $100!

I totally agree that it can be frustrating. In the USA I rarely get good rainwear on eBay, I have to look to eBay UK and eBay DE. Imagine my frustration when the seller won't ship to the USA or when shipping is $20-40!
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

The worst is when there are some bidders who might be schills. the red bormax i got was from a second chance offer and that cost me over 350 USD. then there is sniping where you place a high bid only to get sniped at the last second and possibly by a bot bid. not only that, but i feel like whenever i want to place a budget on how much i am willing to spend, a 20+ shipping charge interferes with it because it is an international sale. I think the worst was when I bought a yellow slippery when wet for over 230 USD because one of the bidders was willing to spend over 200. the worst part was that a few months later, someone was selling the exact same one, but a size larger only a fraction of the price. although ebay is the best place to find raincoats, it is also where it is most easy to get ripped off.
rainwear-experience

rainwearseeker wrote: March 26th, 2018, 7:32 pm The worst is when there are some bidders who might be schills. the red bormax i got was from a second chance offer and that cost me over 350 USD. then there is sniping where you place a high bid only to get sniped at the last second and possibly by a bot bid. not only that, but i feel like whenever i want to place a budget on how much i am willing to spend, a 20+ shipping charge interferes with it because it is an international sale. I think the worst was when I bought a yellow slippery when wet for over 230 USD because one of the bidders was willing to spend over 200. the worst part was that a few months later, someone was selling the exact same one, but a size larger only a fraction of the price. although ebay is the best place to find raincoats, it is also where it is most easy to get ripped off.
For crying out loud, are you for real?

Just because you get a second chance offer doesn't mean you are a victim of schill bidders, there are lots of reasons an item might be offered as second chance, prbably the main one being non paying bidders, if you dont like second chance offers then dont use them to buy items

If you suspect a seller of schill biding then report them

Be smart and if you think someone is going to add overseas shipping then make sure your budget includes shipping costs

Are you not able to use sniper software, its not against the rules, if it worries you then use it

" I think the worst was when I bought a yellow slippery when wet for over 230 USD because one of the bidders was willing to spend over 200. the worst part was that a few months later, someone was selling the exact same one, but a size larger only a fraction of the price"

THAT'S how it works, its NOT a rip off if you get outbid by someone willing to pay more

The rip off comes when people dont describe items correctly or like in Merv's example there's a problem with the item

If you cant put up with being fairly outbid then dont bid in the first place, grrrrrrr
Last edited by rainwear-experience on March 26th, 2018, 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

I don't use sniping software and honestly I think it should be banned because it is kind of cheating. as for a schill bidder, it is difficult to detect when there is one. the auction was cancelled with only one bid when i bought it for 230 plus shipping.
rainwear-experience

rainwearseeker wrote: March 26th, 2018, 8:11 pm I don't use sniping software and honestly I think it should be banned because it is kind of cheating. as for a schill bidder, it is difficult to detect when there is one. the auction was cancelled with only one bid when i bought it for 230 plus shipping.
I dont use sniping software either, if i see an item i like i decide how much im willing to pay (including shipping) place my bid and walk away, if someone bids more than me - by whatever method - then good luck to them, they won, i lost

Its not cheating its just another method of bidding and if you bid the most you want to spend why worry how or why someone beat you

If you made a bid of 230 plus shipping then you must have been willing to pay that or why bid that amount, again its allowed for sellers to end items early subject to various rules, if you think the rules have been broken contact ebay and let them sort it

If you dont like the rules then maybe ebay isnt for you
Kinky-In-Scotland

Post by Kinky-In-Scotland »

merv wrote: March 26th, 2018, 4:26 pm even worse, bought one recently from some woman who seems to go by the name rainkote (I see no reason why I shouldnt name and shame) and it absolutely reeked of smoke, how anybody can send something out in that condition is beyond me. Hopefully the negative feedback focused her mind
There seems to be a couple selling stuff on ebay through separate accounts, rainkote is one and vikinguser is the other but they've both only recently changed their user names, one was junk-from-the-shed and the other was slocky or something along those lines, they're both based in stoke on trent uk, I wouldn't trust either of them as far as I could throw them having already had a bad experience with one of them, let's see how many negative feedbacks it takes for them to change their user names again.
Wearer of Waterproofs & Waders - as often as possible!