classic yellow rubber raincoat

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

classic yellow rubber raincoat

Post by rainwearseeker »

is the weatherite the classic yellow rubber raincoat that appears in movies and tv shows? if so then where is a good place to look for one?
freakylover63

Re: classic yellow rubber raincoat

Post by freakylover63 »

TStorm56

Post by TStorm56 »

The "classic" yellow rubber raincoat with metal clasps was not a style unique to only just Weather-Rite. Many other rainwear manufacturers made coats in that style. During the 1930s-1990s you could find rubber raincoats made in that style with the metal clasps. However, that design style is not used anymore because of snap-button closures. I'm sure that there was some cost decision as well as design decisions to move from clasps to buttons but that is not important. Raincoats in that style are not manufactured anymore and any that you do find will have quite a bit of age on them.

With all of that being said your best bet to find a raincoat like that is to continually search auction websites like eBay, Etsy, and online vintage clothing stores. You could also try brick-and-mortar vintage clothing stores, second hand stores, and military surplus stores. Know that these stores will be a mixed bag and finding anything is not guaranteed.

For me personally, I searched (waited really) for months and months and months until one appeared on eBay. Last April my search finally ended when I found TWO Weather-Rite rubber raincoats with metal clasps appear on eBay. By the end of the day that listing was GONE (they were on buy it now). I have one and so does someone else, presumably another rainwear fetishist! When one of these raincoats do appear you need to know that you are going to be dropping a fat stack of cash on them. These raincoats are becoming rarer and rarer and the prices they reach will represent that. I know for a fact that if I were to list the raincoat I got last April I could easily get $100-200 for it, possibly even more.

In conclusion, keep up the search, one is bound to appear eventually! I usually check eBay once a day or once every few days to see what rainwear has gone up for auction. You never know when you'll see something rare. I've gotten a fair amount of vintage helly-hansen gear this way (60s, 70s, 80s stuff!) and others this way.
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Check out rkdrubber.com, they do offer some styles with the buckle closures - but they're rather pricey!
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

The "Volga" is the style I'd recommend. Full legth with the old fashioned buckles. Ditch the belt & hood & find a good sou'wester to wear with it. The "drill ST" fabric is what you want - rubber bonded to a drill cotton fabric base, available in yellow, black, blue, orange and green.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

how close are the volga's in comparison to a weatherite. i was informed condors are much stiffer.
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Odds are it's not going to be the same since the rubber compounds used today are different than those used in the 50s and 60s, and the fabric base seems to be heavier as well. Also I don't think rkd uses corduroy on the collars at all, but go on their website and send an email or use the chat feature and see if they can customize something for you.

You've been given plenty of suggestions and leads to follow. I suggest you start doing a little legwork and follow up with some of the sources you've been provided to see if you can get what you want.
joe

Post by joe »

The last Weather Rite rubber raincoats with the brass clasp closures that I spotted in retail stores were in the mid 1990’s in army/navy stores in downtown Boston, Kaufmann’s Army/Navy on Park Avenue in the East Twenties in Manhattan, a hardware store in Salem, Massachusetts, and an army/navy store in Augusta, Maine. Sadly none were in my size which in the case of Weather Rite Rubber Raincoats is size XXXL. All were sold with a matching snap-on hood which fit generously. (I would have preferred the matching helmet hood which I wore as an elementary school student from 1967 to 1972.)

Most importantly, when you find a vintage Weather Rite rubber raincoat with the brass clasp closures, make sure it is one size bigger than your usual size. Normally I’m an XXL, hence with Weather Rite, I was able to find two black rubber raincoats with snap-on hoods on eBay in size XXXL. Even at that, the neck was too snug and eventually the brass closures there came off. I found a solution by taking both coats to a marine supply store who punched in replacement dome fasteners positioned to allow a looser fit. The other original brass clasps running down the coats are intact to this day retaining the classic appearance of my beloved slickers. The modification of the dome snaps is barely noticeable.

The last Weather Rites were made in China. And I have often found with Chinese manufactured outerwear of any type the need to go one size up. I hope this information will prove helpful and that we will all find a Weather Rite that is best in rain for years ahead!
TStorm56

Post by TStorm56 »

Thanks for the information Joe. I own two Weather-Rite rainsuits and one of the rubber raincoats with metal clasps. They are great pieces of rainwear!
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Whereas the ones made in the 60s under the "Weatherite IRCO" label were made in Korea and run rather large. I'm an xxl and my yellow raincoat says it's an xl/48 and it fits perfectly with room to spare