How is RKD rubber's rainwear

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
rainwearseeker

How is RKD rubber's rainwear

Post by rainwearseeker »

Is it worth getting RKD rubber rain wear or is it overpriced and poor quality?
Bill_P

Re: How is RKD rubber's rainwear

Post by Bill_P »

I wouldn't call it overpriced - it's a good bargain for rubber. Their heavyweight rubberized satin trench is a high quality piece. I bought a lighter weight single texture satin mac and there were quality issues such as the buttons weren't sewn on securely enough & one fell off, and there was no belt loop on the rear seam so the belt didn't hang right. I let that one go & had a seamstress friend fix those issues, but when I placed an order for the more expensive heavy double texture satin, I made sure those issues were addressed beforehand, and when I got that coat it was perfect. I ordered one of their rubber surfaced heavy cotton drll fabric hooded raincoats and that was also outstanding quality. So they are a great bargain compared to places like Weathervain, but make sure ahead of time that they pay close attention to quality.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

Can you get one made with a rubber lining?
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Yes, they offer all their styles in several fabric options - cotton and satin are rubber lined. They also have "SlickR" which is rubber, with a rubber lining
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

Three weeks ago the rubber raincoat I ordered from them arrived from RKD.
It is a Black sbr Rhine style mac. The quality I have to say is very good, although it is a thinner rubber than Weathervains coats and not as shiny it is really comfortable and it could easily handle any monsoon conditions, being from India.

The only matter that I could say I had to address was the fact that the arm length was way too long so I had to take them up -a straight forward job with some rubber adhesive and a sewing machine.
I think this raincoat is built to last and I can't wait to wear it out everywhere. I have worn it out twice and as it is quite a dull matt finish it in no way stands out, but having said that the cut and design are very smart.
Yes, it is not as heavy or shiny as a Weathervain raincoat but it is really well manufactured, it takes about three to four weeks for delivery, but it is well worth the wait.
rainwearseeker

Post by rainwearseeker »

do they make one piece suits?
Onslow

Post by Onslow »

My experience is similar to Jjai's . I bought a " slickR minky mac" from RKD when they still operated through Lakeland Elements . A few niggles - some of the dimensions are a bit "strange " . The cuff tabs are too high up the arm by a couple of inches ; also the pockets too high on the front , finally the hood is about 3 inches too high for a normal head . All of this may have been fixed though since I bought ?.
This was a few years ago & since then the zip has come apart ( but that happens on many garments ) and the tape has curled a bit at the edges ( not come apart at all though ) .
However , I find the material first class & just what I wanted . It is nicely heavy but not ridiculously so , it feels just great . Mine is matt dark gray and quite acceptable to wear in public without feeling self-conscious in any way .
I am considering ordering from them again .
olympic

Post by olympic »

i LOVE rkd rubber..........i love the rain parkas, the long raincoats, and the fact that they will customize raincoats and parkas....with buckles, zipperes, hoods or no hoods........awesome rainwear, reasonable priced.
also try the condor brand heavy duty yellow rubber raincoats and rain parkas.....they sell the brand through grainger, zoro and sustainable supply.....all under 100$usd
i have ordered and given away many raincoats from rkd rubber.......they are also very well priced!
olympic

Post by olympic »

condor brand also makes rubber rain pants.........all of their long rubber raincoats are like the vintage weatherite rubber raincoats
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Stephie wrote: January 5th, 2018, 7:39 am I’ve had my RKD since 2014. Vikas, the proprietor is a guy you need to keep on top of to get what you want.
I ordered a SlickR double proofed coat, rubber lined and outer surface, I got a coat fit for a giant. He promptly sent me another one which is roomy, but was a more sensible fit. I tried back then to order a Burberry style trench but got a Ghat, which is almost military style. It has a row of two buttons close to each other not spaced apart like a traditional trench.
That said, the mac is great for the heaviest of showers. The detachable hood would be better if it was button attached not Velcro, but it’s quite roomy, even too much so with having to turn the brim back.
The belt is a bit of an issue losing eyelets, but I just tie up the belt.
I’ve always wanted a satin trench, and wonder how RKD manage with styling, maybe I’ll take the plunge one day!
I got the single texture satin "Ghat" back in November 2011; that was the one that I had quality issues with. And yes, you're right, I forgot to mention that the belt did lose a couple of eyelets as well, but like you my wife would just tie the belt. Six months later I bought the heavy red double texture satin trench which is double breasted, with shoulder eapulets - I guess you could say the style is similar to a traditional Burberry full length trench. And before I paid for it I made sure that they addressed all my quality concerns and sent me a coat that I really love, and that has held up well for us for nearly five years now.