Stutterheim Stockholm Raincoat

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
KlepperGuy

Stutterheim Stockholm Raincoat

Post by KlepperGuy »

On Ebay I am sent notifications of rubber raincoats that are offered for sale, but every now and then I get a notification of someone selling a Stutterheim Stockholm Raincoat at to what I think is an exorbitant price for an waterproof anorak !!!!
The seller often states it is rubber (a sprat to catch a mackerel, as they say)
From what I have seen they look more like a soft touch pvc.

So what is it that makes these raincoats so expensive ?????

They say that they are hand crafted.............but all clothes are made by hand, so what's so special there.

I own Guy Cotten (heavy and light weight anoraks and trousers), Rukka, Helly Hansen and Grundens..........all of them are practical and fashionable..........and to a rainwear lover great to wear.

Having seen how Guy Cotten garments are made, these to me a truly hand crafted.

If you really want to know what hand crafted was, you have to go back a few years to Mac Mac at Brimley Mill. There they took fabric, rubber coated it on their rubber spreading machine and then made it up into real macks..............now that's what I call .hand made'.

So the question is 'What is so special about Stutterheim Raincoats' ?

Are they just an expensive fashion raincoat for the young.

Personally, I think rainwear lovers can get better value from other manufacturers.

Years ago I was in Paris looking into the 'Cartier' window at all the lovely things, especially watches, all ticking away with the correct time, all with a hefty price tag. The friend I was with showed me his watch and said, "oooh look mine says the same time as those".............then added "£10 from Argos."

Oh well each to their own.

Bye folks
Have a great Christmas and new year.
Bill_P

Re: Stutterheim Stockholm Raincoat

Post by Bill_P »

Basically you are correct, it's nothing more than an expensive fashion gimmick. They are in fact thick PVC and not real rubber. They are very well made, but in no way are they worth $300 USD. I bought one on one of their 60% off closeout sales and that was still an exorbitant amount, but it is a very nice looking, durable coat. And I do like the fact that "real" raincoats like this are becoming trendy among the younger crowd.
irishcagoule

Re: Stutterheim Stockholm Raincoat

Post by irishcagoule »

I would prefer Guy Cotten any day due to the fact it has zips etc. Stutterheim and most other Swedish/Danish brands use poppers for a means of closure. I do have a Stutterheim Navy, it nice to wear on special occasions.