Polyurethane vs. PVC

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
WealdenMac

Re: Polyurethane vs. PVC

Post by WealdenMac »

I had picked up as much from "users" on other social media although, fortunately, I am not in need of them at the moment.
marcus_germany

Post by marcus_germany »

Äh, what ist the difference between Vinyl and PVC?

As far as i know,
PVC is PolyVinylChlorid
While "Vinyl" can be PolyVinylChlorid or EthylenVinylAcetat or PolyVinylAcetat d.h. names all Vinyl based Materials
PU is Polyurethane which is very durable.
PVC is sexy.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

I have made the experience that PVC coated fabrics are sometimes more sturdy than PU coated ones. We had some shiny jackets and tops made from PU coated stretch fabrics that started to flake after being worn to bed a few times. Especially around the neck.
While we have soem quite old shiny clothing from PVC coated fabrics that lokk almost like new.
When it comes to plastic pants my experience is that our PU coated ones do also live less long than the PVC foils ones. But one has to admit that the material isn't originally meant to be used like that. We wash them at 60 degrees celsius usually and then at 90 degrees after about 20 uses, although they are labelled for being washed at 40 degrees. After 50 to 60 washes they get "decommissioned". A few years ago we made the prototype from a vintage pair of yellow Rukka ones that were made from PVC coated cotton. They were very sturdy and labelled for 60 degrees washing and they survived many washes at 90 degrees.
The old-fashioned plastic foil ones are sturdier and labelled for washing at 90 degrees usually. They are also a little sturdier than the ones from coated fabrics when it comes to staining and washing, but that is probably due to the fabric that "wicks" the fluids into the laminate. But they are definitely more comfortable to wear.

Here you can see some of our plastic pants of different construction, used and unused ones. The black stretch fabric with blue coating used for two buttoned pants in the second video is actually a PU coated fabric that should withstand boiling. We tested it ten times with one of these and it looks good so far. But only time will tell.

https://youtu.be/Xq88yCNyuzw
https://youtu.be/g9XseXyXP_4
sergiouk

Post by sergiouk »

My experience of plastic pants, admittedly the cheaper Chinese brands like FuuBuu and Haian (although I believe AirOliver's are made by FuuBuu) is that even washing at 40C (with liquid soap rather than washing powders) they're noticeably less soft after ten wears/washes, starting to become crinkly by twenty and barely wearable after about thirty.

Latex on the other hand lasts well and it's usually tearing that puts and end to their useful life.
ilikecoated

Post by ilikecoated »

Do you use them for the intended purpose or "for fun"? If it is the latter - are you wearing them against the bare skin ? Just don't forget that human sweat can be quite aggressive.
I guess they are quite cheap and thus they will not cost a lot per use in the end. Or am I wrong ?