Why do the Scandinavian rainwear companies make their coats so small?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Bill_P

Why do the Scandinavian rainwear companies make their coats so small?

Post by Bill_P »

I love my Stutterheim raincoat, but hate how limited the color choices are in my size. Unless I want to order directly from their website and pay full price, I tend to be out of luck. Almost none of their resellers stock them in XXL, especially those who sell them at a deep discount, but they have all the colors in XS, XXS, and XXXS. Who are these tiny little waifs they are marketing to? Do they think there are no tall husky males who buy raincoats? And even if they have an XXL it runs small, pretty much the equivalent of other makers' XL, so while it fits, I have no wiggle room so I really have to watch my weight if I want to continue to be able to wear it. I've tried their XL, and it feels like a child's coat on me.

The RAINS coats also run very small, and they don't offer anything resembling an XXL, so as good as those look they're a no for me. Even Ilse Jacobsen boots run small, as normally with rubber boots my wife and I buy our regular size and have room to spare, while with her boots I had to buy my wife one size up, because while the adjustable shaft fit her calves well, it was short in the footbed so her toes felt crammed in. And I haven't been able to get my hands on those shiny Osregn of Sweden coats to determine if they're small or not but I have to assume yes. And I'd love to buy a vintage Rukka raincoat but again, they didn't seem to run any bigger than a mens Large.

I was looking into the AJ Group from Poland, at least they have extended sizes - they run small but at least their 4XL is the equivalent of a normal XXL. And even with shipping it's much cheaper than Stutterheim.
spitfire617

Re: Why do the Scandinavian rainwear companies make their coats so small?

Post by spitfire617 »

https://waterproofs4you.com/collections/aj-group
These are U.K Based!
May give you an idea what is on offer.

Paul
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

Yes, I'm planning on putting an order in shortly, thinking of the 3/4 length glossy raincoat with matching sou'wester. Both items plus shipping to the USA is less than half the cost of a Stutterheim raincoat (though I do find it annoying that their international shipping cost is almost as much as the combined cost of the raincoat & hat), and at least I know the 4XL will fit with room to spare.
Last edited by Bill_P on April 14th, 2017, 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Bill_P wrote: April 14th, 2017, 6:20 pm Yes, I'm planning on putting an order in shortly, thinking of the 3/4 length glossy raincoat with matching sou'wester. Both items plus shipping to the USA is less than half the cost of a Stutterheim raincoat, and at least I know the 4XL will fit with room to spare.
Good choice that is my next item in white I think?
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

I'm still deciding on a color. Black, orange, or red for me; yellow or black for the wife since she already has more than her share of red raincoats & hats
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

Bill_P wrote: April 14th, 2017, 6:27 pm I'm still deciding on a color. Black, orange, or red for me; yellow or black for the wife since she already has more than her share of red raincoats & hats
lol lol yes we have that too!
A lot of colours too choose from!
Yes black would be cool looking in shiny material!
marcus_germany

Post by marcus_germany »

This is a problem i also have. i am 184,6 centimeters high, 120 Kilos heavy. I need between 3xl and 4xl. The most PVC/Latex/Fetish outfitters only sell up so medium size, in best case up to large.

No matter if i want to by latex underwear, a pvc trouser or a pvc raincoat: It's most times not available in my size :( (And if available, extremly expensive :( )

If i would be able to sew clothing myself, i would by these PVC from the roll (Available in most building markets, nylon yarn and sew it myself. But i am not able to sew clothesd myself.
PVC is sexy.
merv

Post by merv »

sizing seems to be a constant problem, not only with rainwear but any clothing. If only all manufacturers would use the same standard we would all know where we were, especially with distance buying online
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

merv wrote: April 15th, 2017, 5:10 pm sizing seems to be a constant problem, not only with rainwear but any clothing. If only all manufacturers would use the same standard we would all know where we were, especially with distance buying online
I agree! would be far easier!
pvcluver

Post by pvcluver »

I've recently bought an AJ 3/4 length jacket from Waterproofs4You.
It's their model 616 which is very similar to the Grundens Sandon raincoat except it has zip fastening under the flap with press studs. I also had it made with the 'gutter' as per the Grundens Sandon coat
It's a great fit and appears to be well made