What rainwear era do you associate with?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
bjhaus

Re: What rainwear era do you associate with?

Post by bjhaus »

Early 70s....both plastic and nylon raincoats, bright colors, telescopic umbrellas that were explosions of color, plain or brilliant geometric designs, elegant shape, great size for romantic walks under and lasted years and years, girls had emotional attachment to their 'trusty brolly' which was often given as a rite-of-passage gift....and those days the accordion plastic rain hat wasn't quite beyond the pale and many girls still carried them and wore them when 'caught short' without the brolly.
iso4287

Post by iso4287 »

I grew up in early 80s and that was the time of bright colour hooded raincoat here in Europe. Streets were full of girls in theirs plastic hooded macs. Unfortunatelly, I was too young in that time to enjoy all those girls clothed in nice shiny raincoats. Probably that's the reason why I most like the bright hooded raincoats.
blackmacjay

Post by blackmacjay »

I realize that I am older so that may be my reason.

I loved the 50s and 60s and the rubber-lined mackintoshes that prevailed then. Of course, they are still around as evidenced by Weathervain and my wife's collection.

So that's my vote.
shinyphile

Post by shinyphile »

Early 1990s. All around were PVC exterior and cotton flannel colorful linings worn by the ladies. That and the short shiny boots like the shiny red or blue or black ones made by Sporto. I don't mean the duck boots but the full rubber with laces. Misty Harbor was a popular brand then for PVC raincoats. The long ones didn't have hoods generally while the short ones did. I never quite understood that design but liked the look of both. The only somewhat acceptable rainwear for guys was the camping grade ones from Columbia with PVC exterior and nylon interior. I miss those days. The popularization of Hunter wellies has been good in the last 8 or so years but still miss seeing the Misty Harbor rain coats.
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

1970's and 1980's would be the era I remember most vividly. The 1980's were especially good. If I walked down a street on any rainy day there would be l women wearing Peter Storm and similar cagoules,yellow/ blue reversible pvc anoraks, as well as pvc coats of all types. I wish I could return to those days, now it is a rarity to see any women in shiny rainwear.
Oilskin_Lover

Post by Oilskin_Lover »

Ultimately I would have to say the 50's. They knew how to do slickers and sou'westers then, plus you had, for boys, the rubber slickers and the "helmets." I would take the sixties next, foe the Mary Quant etc. vinyl. There wee slight comebacks in the 80's. But nowadays, for the most part,
what wimps! Although some ladies appreciate the good stuff; I have outfitted a few deserving ones. Otherwise: "Ach! Ve shpit!"
Jenni

Post by Jenni »

I would have loved to have been around in the 50s/60s when rubberised rainwear was fashionable and readily available in the high street.I love wearing my rubber-lined mackintoshes and only wish that I could afford to buy more.
merv

Post by merv »

definetely my teenage years in the 70s when I discovered the real delights of the plastic pakamac type coat. Still love wearing my pakamac or similar now
evad

Post by evad »

There isn't an era that I don't like! But probably my favorite was the late 30's, 40's and early 50's which had belted clear raincoats, with sweeping skirts and clear plastic rainboots to go over the shoes -no colors, then-
HeatherluvsPVC

Post by HeatherluvsPVC »

Definitely the 1970's as that was when I first discovered the pure joy of PVC but also the 50's, 60's, 80's, 90's, and right up to date as I love them all. :roll: