Rainwear Fun WithSomeone?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Signalache

Re: Rainwear Fun WithSomeone?

Post by Signalache » June 3rd, 2016, 9:53 am

Here I sit in the studio ruminating and doodling in an absent minded way. I notice I have drawn the outline of a garment with one or two telling folds roughed in to indicate hands in pockets.
‘Still something in the woodshed!’ I can just hear the handsome young woman say. ‘Get it out of your system’.
‘Give it another couple of days’, I whisper to myself, hearing a mentor’s cadence. ‘Thick layers of titanium white take a long while to dry to the right consistency, you know, before you can get started’. I go off at a tangent: I remember blushing.

I haven’t blushed in a long time. It’s not blushing I do these days. I used to! Maybe I have since perfected the belief that I am invisible! As a boy, I couldn’t see a particular girl approaching without beginning to blush; if it were just her and me approaching from opposite ends of the school corridor, it could be very painful indeed.
‘Why?’ I wondered.
‘Shame, of course!’
‘Of what?’
‘Of being noticed noticing!’
And, my blushing was infectious. By the time the girl and I had drawn level both our faces were a mess.
I might call my painting Window Dressing. I want to do something along the lines of August Macke’s Milliner’s Shop (Hutladen).
‘Get it out of your system? eh!’

I blushed that time at the Direct Rainwear Company shop in Scunthorpe. I was eighteen—on National Service. On our way to the swimming baths, a group of us, I spotted the place. One of the party was Van der Knaap, a man of few words blessed with unfailing success with the women. We less lucky ones attributed his sexual prestige to a subliminal smell he gave off since we couldn't comprehend how an undemonstrative man like him managed it. The only thing I recall him saying was: ‘There's a thing!’. Van der Knaap didn’t blush.

The first chance I could, I returned to the shop I had discovered for closer inspection (closure) would be more explicit). Closed! In a corner of the window, on a dummy was the mid blue single-breasted ladies mackintosh I’d caught a glimpse of when I was with the others. I couldn't take my eyes off it and stood for some considerable time in the doorway, eyeing it up and trying not to draw attention to myself. In the end I sloped off and had a swim before returning to the base.

As soon as I could, I made my way back to the Direct Raincoat Company at a time when it was likely to be open for business and, sure enough, there was my blue mackintosh in the window just as before. I entered the shop. I told the girl—I said there was one in the window I wanted. I pointed it out to her.
‘You'd like to see the blue’, the girl said, all smug and hoity-toity, and was about to lead the way to a rail of coats of various colours at the side of the shop where, she said, I would find what I was looking for. It was the one in the window I wanted (the one I had already formed an attachment with).
‘Exactly the same!’ she insisted pointing to the rail.
I declined to explain. I insisted. I said to the girl, would she please do what I asked.
She stepped up then without a word, undid the belt of the blue waterproof, unbuttoned it and stripped it off the dummy. But no (!) she didn't hand it to me for my further approval, but simply carried the item to the counter and began folding it up with an offended air. The rubber proofing was almost an exact match with the blue of the cotton, perhaps a shade lighter, just the right balance and just to my taste. I stood waiting at the counter in a state of excitement with my pound notes ready. Then, from under the counter up popped none other than Van der Knaap.
There's a thing!’ he said. His swarthy face wore a dreamy inward expression while he scrutinised mine for my reaction.
There was no way to hide my blushes.
‘Thirty-nine and eleven, then,’ said the girl.
Van der Knaap disappeared again down behind the counter, leaving me trying to hide how startled I was. The shop girl, whose authority had been overridden, giggled. She took my two pounds as if it were the joke, head cocked to one side, rung up the transaction, handed me the penny change, wrapped up my Stone-Dri ladies single-texture mackintosh in thin brown paper, and, all trace of a smile wiped from her face, handed it over.
Last edited by Signalache on June 4th, 2016, 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Signalache

Post by Signalache » June 4th, 2016, 11:33 am

A wild goose chase

A Presbyterian city having not yet emerged from the fifties—to be in love with a mackintosh—do you mind! I lay and thought of my secret life and the people who thought they knew me, little me trailing behind my mother down the sloping street curving round under the tall moss-pocked stone municipal buildings and the old shop in their shadow half way down on the other side. How could they have conceived of their wares as possessing a function so far removed from what was customary? I thought of my desperate attempts to cover up my shame. I felt the presence of a stern face somewhere in the room, behind the arras, perhaps. Well—it was all over in a second or two—what else I could have done, lagging behind a brisk parent! There in the window of the Scottish Waterproof Company were two gleaming ladies waterproofs, one a blatant red the other a glinting light blue. Two shop girls coming down behind us stopped in their tracks, oo-ed and ah-ed. I don’t remember having seen anything quite like this; I wanted them to whisk me away. I wanted to run away with them but in the same moment my mother looked round and called out for me to ‘hurry up!’

I didn’t say boo to a goose.

In my Rubric the definition of rainwear alludes to the dissimulation of a disproportionate interest. Thus the term may be used as a proper or circumspect way of dissimulating an improper interest in mackintoshes. Thus ladies rainwear may become an individual's pet name for what are more precisely rubberised mackintoshes, an esoteric synonym for the latter. Elsewhere in the Rubric this disproportionate value is expanded on, and the acquisitive urge which goes hand in hand with it.

A flock of wild geese

I think I’ll call my show Veils, or Skein perhaps. Besides web and tangle, suggestive of lies, my dictionary defines skein as wild geese flying in formation and thus reminds me of the instinctive quest involved in all this. There is a sort of web or veil that obscures my apperception so that I remain a relative stranger to myself, except in this one regard. There is also, it occurs to me, an uncanny similarity between skein and skin? But I don’t want to be pessimistic; I’ll call it Veils for that preserves the sense of allure.

No laughing matter! (Any humour that can be derived from this is perhaps all to the good.) ☻

mackery-pokery n. cf. jiggery-pokery, a facetious implication of skulduggery applied to the obsessive focus on and ritualistic use of mackintoshes, a pejorative reference to clandestine practices with mackintoshes by an exponent of their enigmatic properties, adding a dark spice to proceedings.

Signalache

Post by Signalache » June 6th, 2016, 2:21 pm

By The Horns
So I came to the top of the stone stairs facing the senior boys’ cloakroom and turned right to make my way to the Library. The corridor which stretched the length of the building was deserted as most of the classes would be in progress. I was, of course, thinking of the girls’ cloakroom at the far end. I had gone only a few yards when a girl emerged from the girls’ cloakroom and started in my direction. It was R. We bore down on each other and would come alongside before I reached the library door. I for one felt cornered but quite incapable of retreating. I was also helpless to stop myself from blushing. I tried to look straight ahead but out of the corner of my eye I saw that she too was blushing and cast a furtive glance at me as we passed one another without a word. Once inside the library I wondered if she had her waterproof with her and thought of going to take a look when the coast was clear. I left the library trying to look purposeful and scholarly, turned right. The cloakrooms were open areas with racks, no doors. I paused outside the senior girls’ cloakroom. Sure enough there was her raincoat. It occurred to me it was that was responsible for her blushes and with that I sensed a stirring of the blood.

At 4 o’clock I hung about outside in the street to catch a glimpse of her. She was alone when she emerged and made towards the buses. My heart fluttered. I went up behind her. There was no hesitation about it. I blurted out—would she come to Pedro’s with me. She turned and looked quite blank. She almost appeared semi-conscious, not a hint of embarrassment. Perhaps she was epileptic. For some reason that thought aroused me. In those days it was not customary to ‘go for a coffee’; Pedro’s was an ice cream parlour with a back premises where a few of us gathered to ‘compare notes’. She quickly came out of her apparent fit of absence, looked me straight in the face and nodded assent. Standing there on her right side knowing she knew I knew the make and inner nature of her raincoat I couldn’t imagine what it was about me that struck her; it had seemed so serious a matter to her. ‘I take this bus’, she said, and stepped aboard without looking round. I watched the bus leave, my sex a paint brush. Later on she told me she knew I was ‘trouble’.

Signalache

Post by Signalache » June 7th, 2016, 11:54 am

It is here I re-established a fact—a piece of the jigsaw. My boredom was nothing new; it had taken longer to realise that no one could get me out of it, no one was possessed of sufficient imagination to come up with a successful distraction. ‘What can I do?’—I can hear the tone of my voice though I never listened intently enough to that sound I made to realise it was not a question; everyone including me was tricked into thinking it was a question. We never recognized the annunciation of a profound solitude and that there was nothing to be done about it.

When the bus pulled away from the kerb and no one waved, behind the ghost of an erection lay desertion. There was no reliable connection in the immediacy of that sense. I could not, for instance, force my way back to the secret and shameful incomprehensible fascination I had experienced many years earlier happening to hear a radio play on the Third Programme. It was called The Dark Tower. It had elements which took me beyond the depression of Pilgrim’s Progress which, along with the tedium of Sunday school, dumped me in the Slough of Despond where I was beset by one long Sunday afternoon. One such blessing MacNeice play was ‘the tangles of Neaera’s hair’. Meretricious maybe but who cared! Fair to say I fell by the wayside. But it was the desolation that drew me. Actually a name-dropper, I was mistaken as precocious when I referred to the pleasures of To Damascus by Strindberg as I now do. I knew was for me (when I saw it at the Traverse Theatre in Edinburgh in 1974 (which corresponded with my one-man show there) but had not the application to wrestle with it.

I turned away after watching the bus go out of sight without any plan or prospect in my mind. (I better own up here and say that R was a camouflage; her real name was Jessica and I have to admit that pronouncing that word under my breath was enough to initiate tumescence which gave me to speculate upon the provenance of those three syllables). And as I started to walk home I could feel my impetus weaken and a familiar specious morality impose itself. What I realised then was that all my ostensible interests were, plausible enough, distractions.

Signalache

Post by Signalache » June 17th, 2016, 12:21 pm

Since this post of mine in which I identify Jessica I have completed eleven pieces or chapters and have to admit that it is turning into a novel and engaging a great deal of my spare time. Yesterday for instance I spend five hours in the coffee shop writing. Because this is now a 'work in progress' I am not going to post any further instalments here for the time being

I will be keen to offer ancillary material like for instance my recent conversation with Weathervain about their 'Trenchcoat' in rubberised Satin. I was surprised to hear that 'Satinette' was not something familiar to the person with whom I had an agreeable conversation. For me the era of the single-texture ladies mackintosh was dominated by the proofed satinette, not as shiny as satin--more subtle sheen which had me under its spell. I acquired two apple green maids mackintosh coats in the latter days of The Scottish Waterproof Company. One was 40 inches in length and the other 42, the latter with attached hood. They were both purchased together as the shelves were becoming thin. They had a long and active life with us before physically disappearing into oblivion.
Last edited by Signalache on June 21st, 2016, 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Signalache

Post by Signalache » June 17th, 2016, 12:21 pm

I deleted this post as it was a copy of the last post (I don't know how that came about).

freakylover63

Post by freakylover63 » December 18th, 2017, 3:12 pm

i'm interested to meet people for having fun in rainwear. i also enjoy wanking in and on my raincoat, but it's boring ;)

Shinyladylvr

Post by Shinyladylvr » December 19th, 2017, 5:22 am

I enjoy seeing my wife in her shiny black mac. New one has just arrived from Rainmac so time to try it out and see how many admirers she gets.