Rainwear Education

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
whippingboy

Rainwear Education

Post by whippingboy »

There is something I thought it might be nice or useful to share with you all and that is that as I get older, my obsession with rainwear gets stronger. Indeed, that is why I am here on this site. Having discovered eBay at a relatively late age, I find it such delight searching things out and learning who is who and learning all about styles and manufacturers. For example, until recently I had never heard of Ilse Jakobsen or SOS Jensen. I knew about Rukka, of course, and I knew about pakamak and pvc-u-like and Montcler and some of the other ones, perhaps now defunct, like Plastico, and then of course the classics like Weathervain. But I had no idea Topshop did such a range, or that Primark, in their Atmosphere clothing, had once done a classy range of pvc macs. It is truly an education and one which I am absolutely thrilled to enjoy. I have never had so much fun in my life, nor learned so much, and I feel it is just the tip of the iceberg.

ac
TStorm56

Re: Rainwear Education

Post by TStorm56 »

I agree that it totally is an "education" so to speak in who makes what rainwear.

My favorite brands to look out for on eBay are Weatherite/Weather-rite, Rainfair, Condor, Irco, Stearns, Pro Rainer, Rukka, Helly Hansen, Grundens, Uniroyal, 2W, and Rainskins (I'm sure there are some I've forgotten).

On occasion I visit ebay.de, the selection of raincoats they have being listed are far superior to what's listed in the USA. I envy the people who live in Europe, they are able to get some truly fantastic raincoats and rainsuits.

Out of all of those brands, Weatherite/Weather-rite is my favorite to look out for. I own a few of their raincoats/rainsuits and they are a delight. Back in February I saw that there was a weatherite rubber raincoat with metal clasps that was sold to a lucky person (not me unfortunately). I search everyday in hopes one pops up in my size. I wish that PVC-U-LIKE made a raincoat like that with the metal clasps.
ShinyShoppe

Post by ShinyShoppe »

I must confess...." It was I "...who was truly lucky enough to secure the rubber Weather-Rite coat... That was on e-bay in February.
I have lots of rubberised coats, but this is by far my favourite. At the time, I did not realise they were so rare. I too keep looking for another.

A yellow one would be fab, if it's the same quality rubber.
whippingboy

Post by whippingboy »

Thanks for the tip! I shall sure be doing that shortly!
latexstorm

Post by latexstorm »

I feel that way about recently discovering Guy Cotten. I've long wanted a raincoat that was shiny and yellow, but that was also as storm-proof as anything can be. They had it - although I had to order direct from their corporate HQ in France to get exactly what I wanted.

A month before I ordered it, I had never heard of them. Now I wear it more than anything else I own.

Can't wait for the sound of thunder when I'm wearing it: http://imgur.com/jXQ4MUf
latexstorm

Post by latexstorm »

PVC4 wrote:Could you do us a link to the item on the French website please? I don`t seem to be able to find anything as shiny as your photo on either the UK or French websites. Cheers Latexstorm
Absolutely - note that the model name is the Rosbras, and the waterproof material is Cap Coz:

http://www.lemoussaillon.fr/loisirs/ves ... anche.html

Keep in mind that I used a off-camera flash for that photo for precisely that purpose - to enhance that shiny quality. I think the catalog photos, however, give a pretty good sense of what it's like. In terms of weight, feel and texture, this Cap Coz fabric is very similar to what the Germans call "Gumpla." I've owned a few things from Rimo Mantelmode using the latter, and I definitely like the look.
mason

Post by mason »

latexstorm wrote:
PVC4 wrote:Could you do us a link to the item on the French website please? I don`t seem to be able to find anything as shiny as your photo on either the UK or French websites. Cheers Latexstorm
Absolutely - note that the model name is the Rosbras, and the waterproof material is Cap Coz:

http://www.lemoussaillon.fr/loisirs/ves ... anche.html

Keep in mind that I used a off-camera flash for that photo for precisely that purpose - to enhance that shiny quality. I think the catalog photos, however, give a pretty good sense of what it's like. In terms of weight, feel and texture, this Cap Coz fabric is very similar to what the Germans call "Gumpla." I've owned a few things from Rimo Mantelmode using the latter, and I definitely like the look.
It is absolutely fucking gorgeous! Now I really, really want one. And one for my girlfriend, Rozel, too.
Oilskin_Lover

Re: Rainwear Education: Jan Robert line

Post by Oilskin_Lover »

Does anybody have any information about the Jan Robert line, its history etc.?
JeremyRobert

Post by JeremyRobert »

Good morning

Once in a blue moon I key in the name Jan Robert (named after my sister Janine and my middle name Jeremy (Robert). The company Jan Robert was started by my parents Arnold and Evelyn Isaacs in the late 1960's and where I learnt my apprentice, firstly in the manufacture, then onto retail where we built shop within shops (concessions) in all the major department stores. Indeed we were the first company that John Lewis allowed in on this basis, (due to demand for our products, but at the time did not have the funds to purchase the stock in this department!
Both my parents and myself were always excited that we could design and build a loyal brand to what eventually became a cult following of quality outerwear.

In 1993 the company, the company whilst geared by their manufacturing plant in the U.K. were forced into administration by the RBS, despite fulfilling all its obligations!

In what would be considered an old fashioned, but nevertheless principled (costly) manner, our family lost heavily as a result.
After the administration I negotiated with 5 stores to maintain a concession in the outerwear departments, and produce small runs of some of our designs, in addition I had agreements with some of the German outerwear companies to sell their brand into the UK with the Jan Robert labels.
This was successful for a number of years, however it was apparent that store groups were closing their outerwear departments down completely and outerwear was becoming part of other designer ranges which suited the store policies at the time. Our best selling lines were being copied in a crude way using cheap fabrics by growing discount store groups and in 1997 I decided to close the doors and pursue buying, selling and renting properties.
As we had no debt or bank borrowing, I had made my mind up prior to designing and buying for the autumn winter season, which was in affect accounted for usually 75% of the turnover and profitability.
Whilst the history of Jan Robert since the inception in 1967 until 1993 in particular holds what for us is life's work, enriched with unbelievable characters in the process of manufacture, fabric merchants, agents and retail staff that travelled with us on the journey. It was built on my dedicated parents (who today at 79 and 76 are thankfully still completely dedicated to each other and their children and now grandchildren) by a drive to build better lives for my older sister and myself.

In 1993 when the banks, were moving goalposts at their leisure and our stress, whilst despite working to the monthly and then weekly constraints to the point where we were bullied into personal guarantees, (strangely the additional lending facility was not even used, however the bank had virtually blackmailed us that if we did not have funds it at the time to meet the existing overdraft facility, for which they were lowering at any given notice, we would not have sufficient funds to pay our staff, suppliers etc. We eventually broke and like a tortured prisoner, we eventually had no choice to give up on a business that had become my parents life for 26 years, due to the endless hours of hard work and nurturing.

Today, whilst we have endured highs and lows since 1997, what are is an unbelievable close knit family. We built up a property portfolio soon after on originally credit cards, built and sold some small business's and today I utilise my experience working with companies assisting them in maximising values for their stock and f&f assets. My work has been recognised by both advisory and transaction departments at EY and Private equity houses who like to get me involved in assisting the companies they invest in how to release cash from these companies and in particular manufacturing businesses how to maximise their material stocks.
My practices are extremely successful, can be a little on the maverick side, but I like to call it on your feet thinking. Even when I have been working on administrations / receivership I have been known to continue to employ the staff through my own company in order to utilise machine and stock material resource in order to assist companies in extracting values in otherwise material inventory with no other values in order to ensure that the administration is managed economically and we have ensured that creditors are given a fighting chance of some recovery.
Over the past 10 years I have also worked on a number of retailers administrations from TJ Hughes to Comet, finding solutions in logistics and warehouse alternatives, whilst programming sales online in a controlled and timely fashion, rather than through bulk sale opportunist who appears to be doing the administration the favour by clearing the site!

Finally, my latest google check on Jan Robert, to where I found someone post
'Does anyone know what happened to Jan Robert' in only April 16, has resulted in possibly the longest ever response you have asked for a reason to join! Please accept my apologies, it was not intended and considering this is being typed on my smart phone, my finger is going automatically!!!

Strangely, I was simply looking up our old company as from time to time my work takes me back into clothing companies.
Whilst working on a major administration in Germany on a well known fashion company called Steilmann I decided to bring back to the Uk over 3500 outerwear garments. The quality and designs reminded me of the Jan Robert days and I held a sale at one of my warehouses last week in which both my parents attended. (Like the old days when we used to have a factory shop sale) Whilst the sale was only advertised in the local free paper it was unbelievable with so many people actually remembering my parents and of course Jan Robert!! People were buying anything from a jacket/coat to one person bought 11. As this was an administration we were selling them off at around £25 each!

The sale was very successful in more ways than one! It was an enjoyable weekend and I have organised the remainder of the outerwear stock to come over to our Altrincham warehouse and intend to run these sales every other weekend until sold!
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

I enjoyed reading about the Jan Robert story-sad ending apart. During the mid-80's the company was kind enough to let me have, at my request, a large black and white print of a fashion shot of a model wearing one of its shiny black PVC mackintoshes that had appeared in a national newspaper (or magazine, I can quite remember which). I bought a frame for it and proudly displayed it in my Central London office. It attracted more than a few "sideways" glances and the occasional comment. At that time wet days saw me arriving for work in, variously, a mid-blue Klepper, a Cocoon-made to measure shiny black polyurethane mac and last, and best of all, an excellent Weather or Not double breasted SBR. On reflection perhaps the picture on the wall didn't come as a surprise to my office colleagues.