Is it 'gay' for a man to wear shiny rainwear in public?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Bill_P

Re: Is it 'gay' for a man to wear shiny rainwear in public?

Post by Bill_P »

Just last week I wore my shiny new Stutterheim "Opal lantern" red & white raincoat with matching glossy red wellies during a few hours of drenching rain in downtown Chicago and no one batted an eyelash. And I got lots of compliments from ladies on my ensemble.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

I have, like I imagine many of us, mixed experiences. I used primarily to wear my shiny black macs to and from my office in London. I've had "flasher" shouted at me from passing cars and heard a few of those slightly louder than necessary nearby conversations in which the word "ugh" featured prominently. On the plus side more than one female work colleague complimented me on my macs. One went as far as buying one herself and made a point of telling me it was because she liked mine. Another would have done except for her "salt of the earth working class husband" commenting that if she did she could wear it "up King's Cross and do some business!" So I guess as we've all known for a long time, it takes all sorts.
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

Certainly not Gay........the fact that you are going to wear something when the weather calls for a good waterproof should not be a problem and anyway most people would not even notice.

It is the folk who wear a pvc, plastic rubber surfaced mack in hot weather who stand out.

Me I wear pvc anoraks in many places including my weekly shopping trips, if is grey and dull outside or raining no one takes any notice.

Wear it when the weather calls for it or if is threatening or overcast and you will be fine.

Just don't linger to long in the frozen food aisles late at night in Tesco's or Sainsbury's.............you might get 'cruised' ;) ;)
pvclovering

Post by pvclovering »

I have worn a full length unisex shiny black raincoat from PUL without any adverse comments, and some smiles from girls, I prefer to wear a similar raincoat in semi transparent black. Again, similar reactions. I wonder what the feeling is about this. At least I feel I am properly dressed for the wet weather we are experiencing in my area.
rainwear-experience

Post by rainwear-experience »

pvclovering wrote: March 16th, 2018, 10:33 pm I have worn a full length unisex shiny black raincoat from PUL without any adverse comments, and some smiles from girls, I prefer to wear a similar raincoat in semi transparent black. Again, similar reactions. I wonder what the feeling is about this. At least I feel I am properly dressed for the wet weather we are experiencing in my area.
In general, unless you draw attention to yourself, then people are too bust getting on with their lives to give a flying f**k

I'm a bit bored with the people who go out of their way to draw attention to themselves and then complain when they get a reaction, this inst just rainwear related it applies to most things in life
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

The simple answer is NO
I have worn two different PUL unisex macs at Goodwood Revival over the years, seeing it is held in early September rain is not uncommon, last year it was all three days
On no occasion have I received detrimental remarks (other than from a friend who was with us "Dirty Old Man's Mac")
Last year I did receive a couple of comments - "your dressed right for the weather"
if you are comfortable with it wear it!
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
capefetish

Post by capefetish »

No, I don't think it's 'gay'... I was really self conscious about wearing any rainwear in public for years. If you feel comfortable, just do it.

I now wear macs, PVC duster style coats, and capes in public and have received little to no negativity. The time of the year, location, and of course the weather are all factors.
Shinyladylvr

Post by Shinyladylvr »

I am of the opinion that you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in, whatever pleases you and makes you happy. No doubt some folks will look at you and give you a disgusted look, some will give an approving look or even envious look and the majority will probably not notice or ignore you. But I think that can be said for wearing pretty much anything.
My suspicion is that those who give the disgusted look are probably angry at themselves for not having the confidence to wear what they really want to wear while you are happily enjoying yourself.
rubberdee

Post by rubberdee »

Shinyladylvr wrote: March 18th, 2018, 9:01 pm I am of the opinion that you should wear whatever you feel comfortable in, whatever pleases you and makes you happy. No doubt some folks will look at you and give you a disgusted look, some will give an approving look or even envious look and the majority will probably not notice or ignore you. But I think that can be said for wearing pretty much anything.
My suspicion is that those who give the disgusted look are probably angry at themselves for not having the confidence to wear what they really want to wear while you are happily enjoying yourself.
I think you have it just about right there ;)
furryhood

Post by furryhood »

…...Interesting. Im over 60yrs old now, and have been wearing shiny macs and anoraks for as long as I can remember. All with hoods, and hoods worn up when necessary. In all the years, I have never received ONE derogatory remark, only many 'love the mac', 'where did you get that great jacket', type remarks. All it does is encourage me more to wear, the now, sexier and even more shinier jackets and coats that are freely available on the market. I have a particular (or peculiar!) liking, currently, for the high gloss shiny pvc hooded puffa coats and jackets with huge fur trimmed hoods. I have several, which were worn daily during the winter, and, when summer is not so summery, even then! I am extremely fortunate to have a wonderful missus, who is happy to indulge me, and even wears her bright red hooded vinyl macs and her own puffas, without me prompting! I am 100% hetrosexual, I love wearing what I wear, and if anybody was that bothered by it, do I care? Not a jot. As for being gay..... some of my friends are gay, yes they appreciate my taste, but don't get off on it like I do!!! Go out and enjoy. We can regularly can be seen along Southend sea front walking our dog, me in my 2017 ASOS black vinyl hooded anorak, of which I have several. Its very shiny, feels and smells like oilskin, my current favourite. She in one of her (usually) bright shiny red hooded macs or jackets. Say hello if you see us.....Mike