Making your own rainwear

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
earthing1974

Making your own rainwear

Post by earthing1974 »

Hi there,

I've been learning to sew for the past two years, with the somewhat naive plan of constructing my own rain-wear. Is anybody here able to recommend a good trench-coat pattern that's relatively easy for a beginner/intermediate, but looks good at the same time?

I'm using black pvc with a polyester backing for the main fabric. This has two way stretch only. I've bought about 50m, so mistakes are expected.

If this works, then I'd like to move onto un-lined pvc and rubber materials. No stitches, but glue + fingers is usually a bad combination for me...Does anybody else have experience with suitable adhesives rather than welding machines etc.

Thanks for any help.

Paul

PS - First post, be nice! Thanks for having me...

SOUTH WALES, UK
Jjai

Re: Making your own rainwear

Post by Jjai »

Hello Paul,

I have tried in the past to manufacture macs of my own, In the first instance i tried to hand sew thin cotton backed PVC which i gave up on as there was no way it would have been waterproof at the seams.

Two years ago I bought some Black lycra backed PVC but unfortunately even with a heavy duty needle the sewing machine I have is only a domestic one and could not sew the thicker PVC cloth together and the foot beneath the needle kept sticking to the material even though I followed some internet posts advice for sewing PVC.

I think if I bother again which i would like to, I will either try and get a cheap plastic welding tool or perhaps an industrial sewing machine like the type used to stitch sailcloth material with.

Instead of buying patterns, if the rainwear you want to make is for you then just use one of your other coats for basic sizing like I did and create your own add-on features like flapped pockets, wrist tapes etc. Use your other macs as a guide and cut the material larger to allow for sleeve bottoms, hemlines etc.

Good luck you will need some patience !

James
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Hello Paul,

Nice to hear from someone else in South Wales. I can't be more precise for fear of ridicule.

Good luck with the tailoring.

Jeff.
earthing1974

Post by earthing1974 »

Hi James,

Thanks for contributing...

As for fabric backed PVC, a teflon-foot is a must. You can get a straight stitch and a zipper foot with teflon coatings. I also put baking paper below the work across the needle plate at the same time. It takes a bit of practice, but you can get a very strong seam. And then you have to rip the paper off, but if you are careful, you can normally get most of it off in one go. I have a couple of domestic machines, and they both work well with this technique.

However, for the unbacked stuff, I suspect that I am either going to have to use some sort of glue on interfacing, or just glue... I've some experience with rubber adhesives, but nothing specifically for pvc.

Cheers,

Paul
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

Thanks paul,
I think I will try that method you mentioned, I imagine I can get Teflon coated zipper foots locally - even here in Swansea.

Thanks
James
earthing1974

Post by earthing1974 »

Hi James,

You can get a zig-zag stitch foot from http://sewingonline.co.uk/forsale/feet.html for about £10
Good for straight and zig-zag...

http://sewingparts.co.uk/accessories.html also sell teflon feet. You can get straight, zig-zag, and zipper feet for less than £10.

I've tried baking paper, grease-proof paper, tissue paper etc. Baking paper works the best.

Also, don't forget, you can't use pins other than in the seam allowances because they scar the fabric. I've had the best results with mini-bulldog clips and also paper clips.

As for fabric, you've got Lee Mills in Swansea, so you should be able to get polyester backed pvc from there in millions of colours. I haven't been there yet, but my local supplier in Treforest was happy to let me buy whole rolls. This works out at about £2.50 per metre, as opposed to £5.99 per metre.

I prefer the polyester backed pvc as it's thicker than the lycra, and you don't see the grain lines. So it looks shiny rather than liney!

Anyway, enough from me.

Get stitching!

Paul
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

Thanks Paul,

lee mills in Oxford Street was where I bought the last black cotton backed PVC fabric from at £4.90 a metre.

I went to the Range store the other day. They are selling the shopping bags/trolleys which are in thick red and Black PVC material.
I am going to try to get in touch with the UK based manufacturer to see where they have their supplies of PVC cotton backed roll from and try and get some myself.

It is the really shiny and thick PVC, but what is so good is the smell which I have'nt experienced since my childhood in the eighties - A very strong plastic / chemical scent which makes it all the more exciting!

I will get hold of some of those Teflon based sewing feet though very soon.

Thanks again,
James
Juppe

Post by Juppe »

Have you seen kind of a ribbon made of polymer. It shoud be inserted in between the sewn materials and thereafter press the seam with mildly heated iron, preferably thru baking paper. The ribbon melts and makes a waterproof seam. I have once bought such a 3 m ribbon and tried it, it works fine but I haven't made any garments of it yet.