Cape or Coat?

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Peter Haaswijk

Cape or Coat?

Post by Peter Haaswijk »

Hello,
Today I have walked in my PVC Raincoat from PVC-U-Like .It rained a little and it was about 18 degr Centigrade.
In about 15 minutes I became wet inside because of transpiration .
I did not wear a normal jacket ,so my shirt became wet ,because of the rain all buttons were closed.
This afternoon I walked in my PVC Cape ,the enclosed one K44 from PUL.
I became wet in the same time. :(
I always thought, that a cape had more air circulation, and so I should stay longer dry.
Not true. :?
What should I buy at PUL to stay dry a longer time ?
Greetings, Peter from a wet Netherlands.
merv

Re: Cape or Coat?

Post by merv »

unfortunately that is the problem with plastic/pvc and is most likely a factor in why plastic raincoats are not popular with the masses, replacing the wetness of rain with that of sweat rather defeats the object of wearing rainwear. the problem is less so on cooler days. breathable materials are the best solution if not a rather expensive one. A cheaper option may be the poncho with the snaps down the side which as well as being loose lets plenty of air in
Peter Haaswijk

Post by Peter Haaswijk »

You are right. Poncho's are less warm, but they are ugly in my eyes.
I used them for a short time.Here in the Netherlands there are sometimes strong winds, then you look like a sailing ship that is wrecked on the beach in a storm...
Now I think to buy a cape from PUL with buttons .With the top buttons you can make a ventilation opening. The onderside can be taped to prevent water coming in, just like in the arm holes. ( I have experience with that too.)
Peter
kulshan

Post by kulshan »

Unless you have that great dutch product Anuy. They make a great clear raincoat that is loose enough so it has air circulation and the material is robust and thick.