A few of my cagoules

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
YKK

Re: A few of my cagoules

Post by YKK »

One of these on ebay (at the time of writing that is) http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/152225286785
Looks fairly beat up though, zip is a bit naff, white cords and bobbles missing and seller wants to much money.
discoruss

Post by discoruss »

They did one in red. Looking out for one but no luck yet. Still go into charity shops to add to my collection.
long91

Post by long91 »

YKK wrote:
MacsAndPies wrote:Hi Discoruss,
The royal blue cagoule with white stripes down the arms was my alltime favourite.(
The royal blue and navy blue cagoules with the 1 inch wide, 3 stripe ribbon down the arms, white or metal zips and white drawstrings with bell shaped bobbles on the end of the cords. Oh and noisy nylon of course and really glossy waterproofing inside.
An absolute standard back in the day they must have been manufactured in the millions back then.
I'm surprised just how few have appeared on ebay over the years.
:cry: I bet loads have ended up in landfill.

I too love these cagoules and have managed to get several over the years. It's such a shame when I look back, I owned many back in the day, but because they were so cheap, everyone I know including myself, simply threw them away. The local markets used to sell them for between £2.99 to £4.99. I remember visiting friends and family in the 80's and cloakrooms would always have them. I often used to visit a relative that worked at the local rubbish tip from the late 70's to the early 90's. Back then, I could wander around the site and used to marvel at the amount of cagoules and also snorkel parkas that had been thrown away. If only I could have taken them at the time :(
YKK

Post by YKK »

merv wrote:might be quite nice to see them being worn, although I appreciate not everybody then wants themself plastered all over the www
I did think about it, but I just love my cagoules as they are. I've compromised, put a shirt on a mannequin and uploaded some more pics.
YKK

Post by YKK »

discoruss wrote:They did one in red. Looking out for one but no luck yet. Still go into charity shops to add to my collection.
I have 2 in red. I couldn’t bear to part with them though.
cagoulion

Post by cagoulion »

I love these. Back in the 1980s I used to visit a station paper shop where the woman behind the counter always wore a blue or an orangey red one which I found very attractive. They were plentiful then and popular as cheap holiday buys. Mostly as now they get thrown away although sometimes they used to pop up at boot sales for about 50p or charity shops for a couple of pounds. I did find loads at my local tip when you could just go in at night to get stuff they would be dumped with old clothes and ironically when I moved to my present house there was a royal blue one in the loft to protect the ceilings from some water damage from a missing tile. The last one I saw at a boot sale nobody wanted but me and if I hadn't stumped up a whole 10p for the dark blue one at finishing time (complete with an elastic band to hold the folded jacket as small as possible) it would have gone to landfill too. My first one had the stripe halfway across the chest too a design common about 1977 and really rare these days. It cost me £3 which pound for pound is much more than the Rainydays cagoules today which fulfill much the same function.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

I have one in red, funnily enough, i got it out if my big holdall when i keep alot of my collection, probably around 120 cagoules, have a navy blue and royal blue and i am sure somewhere a sky blue one too if in remember right.
The the more shiney the better inside too!
Lets get swishy!
YKK

Post by YKK »

annabell-cagoule wrote: The the more shiney the better inside too!
AGREED!
It's so annoying to see a cagoule listed on ebay and you know it's most likely to have really shiny waterproofing on the inside. But the seller
just does not reveal in any of the pics (if indeed there is more than one) what the inside is like! grrrrrr!
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

Had to wear my red one yesterday and no one batted an eyelid :) i suppose they were so common no one even notices someone wearing one out and about now, even if its not raining
Lets get swishy!
hstorm

Post by hstorm »

Nice pictures. They all look very smart and swishy ;)