Secret Photographer

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Macklovin

Secret Photographer

Post by Macklovin »

I was wondering if anybody here has experienced members of the public taking photographs of you whilst you're wearing your shiny mac outside ?

On a number of occasions, I have spotted people using their smart phones taking photos, particularly whilst I've been on the train or standing waiting for one on a station platform. It probably happens at least once a week.

It happened again yesterday. I was on the train between Kingston and Waterloo, standing by one of the doors wearing a very shiny black PVC mac. There was a young lady in her twenties sitting about 10 feet from me, using her Iphone to take secret photos of me whenever she thought I wasn't looking. She took about 6 or 7 pictures I think.
As I departed the train at Clapham Junction I turned to her, smiled and said :'I hope your photos turn out well.'
At first, she pretended she hadn't heard me at until I repeated it. She went bright red and then gazed out of the window behaving like she had no idea what I was talking about. But she clearly did, as she made no effort to protest.
I didn't press the matter, just left the train and laughed.

And yet I cant decide whether to be flattered by this kind of attention or whether it is intrusive, as I then wonder how the photos are being used.
Is it just a bit cheeky, maybe ?

I even spotted a photo of me in my very shiny mac taken from behind by a girl on twitter a week ago. Although it seems to have disappeared now...
Shame, as she claimed she hoped to see me wearing it again.

Would be very interested to hear what people hear think about all this...
rainwear-experience

Re: Secret Photographer

Post by rainwear-experience »

Although I almost always carry a camera and have a reasonable phone camera Im not really a fan of sneaky pictures

I wouldnt like it to happen to me so can't really feel its right to do it to others

Ray
merv

Post by merv »

I think I too have made my feelings known on this matter in the past. Its not something I would do but wouldnt be overly bothered if someone wanted to take sneaky pics of me, though why they would want to is beyond me. I know other members are happy to take sneaky pics and then post them on to a fetish site but that is for their conscience after all, We have to accept that we all have different standards
pvc_pete

Post by pvc_pete »

Obviously it's an issue that people are going to feel differently about. Personally i don't have a problem with pics being taken of me or my partner, but i suppose it is the lack of control that is an issue.

Professional photographer and video journalists regularly take stock photos and footage but it is only used in an innoculous way. I personally would not dream of posting an anonymous shot of someone in rainwear on a truly fetish site as i think it sends out the wrong signals. Posting an image on Flickr, for example, i think is fine.

If possible (and the situation is suitable) i will always try and compliment the wearer on their choice of wet weather gear.

Pete
Bill_P

Post by Bill_P »

I don't know, I think I'd be willing to overlook the privacy issue if I caught someone in the act and it led to some interesting conversation...particularly if it were a woman...not that I'm looking to cheat on my wife or anything, but it would be nice to have an actual face to face chat with a woman who shared my feelings on rainwear.
spitfire617

Post by spitfire617 »

"Posting an image on Flickr, for example, i think is fine."

Why posting an image on Flickr?
Yes if it is my own image and have permission.
I am uncertain of if it is actually legal to post "Secret" images now days?
Could be heaps of trouble!

Paul
pvc_pete

Post by pvc_pete »

Paul,

Just to clarify things read this article.

http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal- ... out-asking
ShaunaHenn

Post by ShaunaHenn »

pvc_pete wrote:Paul,

Just to clarify things read this article.

http://photorights.org/faq/is-it-legal- ... out-asking
Thanks for the link, which confirms my understanding of the situation. I regularly take discreet photos of people in raincoats or wellies around Dublin. I figure that it's in a public place, not unlike street fashion photography. It's really a compliment more than anything else.

I've moved to Tumblr for new photos, as Flickr and Facebook seem to delete stuff without any reason, explanation or appeal. See http://shaunahenn.tumblr.com/ and skip the reblogs to see my original shots.
Peterstrom

Post by Peterstrom »

ShaunaHenn wrote:
I've moved to Tumblr for new photos, as Flickr and Facebook seem to delete stuff without any reason, explanation or appeal. See http://shaunahenn.tumblr.com/ and skip the reblogs to see my original shots.
Thanks for that - some cracking shots.
Jjai

Post by Jjai »

Hi Macklovin,

After reading some of the comments on here, I would advise caution, especially if you are residing in the UK.

At the risk of giving free legal advice I would simply say not to take what is published on the photo-rights site or even others that are similar as entirely correct.

For instance it refers to the fact that camera photos can be taken without the subjects consent, this is rarely true and it is always better to ask the subject especially when it is for an innocent purpose which I imagine would be the case for anyone here on the Forum.

That the site also declares that CCTV cameras don't ask your permission to film you so why should anyone else. The CCTV operator has to have a licence which should expressly restrict their viewing and recording to a certain zone or area ie- the entrance door areas outside clubs and bars.
The fact that many UK local authorities are being prosecuted for the violation and widespread use of this equipment for their own ends in city centres is testament to this. Most of these cameras were originally installed and operated under the Prevention of terrorism Act and as such are hardly ever legally used.

There is also a difference on what is used to record the image. A photograph of a person taken on a traditional 35mm film camera has fewer legal concerns for instance than one which can store and send images such as a mobile phone.

It must be said that if a person has had a photograph taken and published on a website or magazine then they do not need copyright or any other legally bound principle to announce claim to that image. They are entitled to a share of any royalties gained and by the same token would also be entitled to prosecute the image taker. This was recently upheld when a photographer took what they thought was an innocent picture of a woman which then appeared on the cover of an internet journal when she was a sitting juror on a serious criminal trial.

Mind you if I was wearing one of my nice raincoats and someone asked me to take a photo I would probably be flattered and agree - especially if it led to conversation about a shared interest !

Like everything else, think carefully first would be my advice.