Peter Storm Smock

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
kagoul

Peter Storm Smock

Post by kagoul »

Hi

How many of us remember getting their first Peter Storm waterproof smock ? A vintage Peter Storm went on ebay the other day for over £60 ! Time to lobby the Peter Storm makers to remake their 80s best seller ?
irishcagoule

Re: Peter Storm Smock

Post by irishcagoule »

Great idea
Cagoule

Post by Cagoule »

I remember my first one very well indeed. I desperately wanted to have a Peter Storm smock cagoule but was far too embarrassed to ask for one. What rescued it for me was school camp at the age of 11. A note came home from school telling us what we had to take. One item was: "waterproof cagoule (and optional overtrousers)". I was therefore taken to the local sports shop. I had been in many times before but just to look and touch them. I knew exactly which one I wanted: a navy blue Peter Storm smock cagoule! Luckily my mum was very relaxed and allowed me to choose. I also plucked up courage and asked if I could have the overtrousers as well. She said yes! Standing in the shop wearing a Peter Storm smock cagoule and matching overtrousers that were just about to become mine was fantastic. :D It felt amazing, just as I had imagined, all crinkly and swishy. I stood in front of the mirror, hood up and overtrousers on! I must have been severely flushed! Anyway I just about survived the excitement in the shop and now owned my own Peter Storm smock cagoule and matching overtrousers! The school camp that followed was truly memorable. Raingear was certainly needed thankfully.... Sadly I have no photos!
kagoul

Post by kagoul »

I have a vivid recollection of getting my first Peter Storm. I was taken by my mother to a local sports shop to buy a new trendy Adidas rain jacket only to be persuaded by the store manager that for a similar price we could buy a waterproof Peter Storm smock - far more effective in the rain even if not so trendy. Practicality won over fashion and I walked to school the following morning protected from the rain by my bright blue Peter Storm and matching waterproof trousers over my grey flannel school shorts. This was the first of several cagoules which I wore during schooldays. A royal blue Campari Pennine Jacket followed (I have a similar 3 pocket cagoule today). Also a navy Peter Storm smock and a royal blue Peter Storm cagoule - a long knee length waterproof which was great in bad weather as it kept my legs dry without the need for waterproof trousers. I also had an orange PS smock which I wore outside school - strict uniform rules meant I risked a caning if I wore anything other than regulation blue which was a shame as the orange smock was my favourite. I would love to talk to anyone interested in selling a Peter Storm smock - esp an orange one.
Peterstrom

Post by Peterstrom »

The Navy peter Storm jacket with the full length white zip seemed to be like a part of the school uniform at my Comp in the mid 80's. Funny - it was almost exclusively the girls who wore them as well :) Navy blue was the most common colour

with a few Royal Blue

and the occasional green.

At £20 each it was too expensive for our family, that was until one day, on my way to assembly, I found one discarded on top of the radiator neatly folded into it's own stuff-sack (pocket). I was now a Peter Storm owner :D

A short while later I started dating a girl who wore a Royal Blue one and then she got a new Navy one. She seemed to wear it everywhere and as I did not own one (well not formally anyway ;) ) she was very keen for me to borrow her old one. We had many a Peter Storm enveloped kiss and cuddle (particularly enjoyable when it was raining and she had her hood up) and sometimes we used to swap so I could wear the more appropriate 'boys' darker blue.

Halcyon days.......

Edited to include the actual photo's and not links.....
Last edited by Peterstrom on February 10th, 2010, 9:42 am, edited 7 times in total.
pvc_pete

Post by pvc_pete »

In my first year of college (I was about 16 1/2), I used to walk there with the daughter of a family friend. The girl used to wear a green Peter Storm zip up cagoule. I loved the sound it used to make as we walked along the street and always hoped for rain as she would put up her hood and pull the drawstrings tight.
Unfortunately she was almost 2 years older than me and had a boyfriend a year older than her. I always hoped they would split up and we could become more intimate but it never happened. Very enjoyable though.
annabell-cagoule

Post by annabell-cagoule »

I remember a girl at school had a red zip up one.
She wore it daily and I loved seeing her in it, of course i never told her. They were going a little out of fashion at school in favour of the new patrick ones in either blue and white or blacl grey and white which were my favourite. One day we took a trip to the local sports shop in our little town, they had white, navy, royal blue and red zip up peter storms cagoules in there. I pleaded with my mum to buy me one for school but as she needed to buy one for my brother too she decided to go for the cheaper man alive over the head ones in orange that were also available in there. I was disappointed but got to try on a white one that was hanging up in the changing room that must have belonged to a staff member in secret, heart pounding, as i tried on some trousers i was being bought for our PGL school trip.
It was amazing!!!

It wasn’t until years later i got my own peter storm cagoule and over trousers at the school jumble sale in royal blue for £5! I came home with them and before I could hide them mum spotted me and asked what they were? I told her i got them for £5 at the jumble sale as i was growing out of my orange man alive ones, she was happy and congratulated me for making a good purchase and saving her some money. This meant i could wear them whenever i wanted without having to hide them.

Snow came that winter and I remember going sledging wearing my full cagoule and over trousers and meeting a lad on holiday at this grandparents who had a full set of over the head yellow peter storm and matching trousers, we spent hours sledging in them and chatted about our waterproofs and tried on each others jackets, i was in heaven! I must admit i got a bit of a crush on him. The following day the snow was thawing fast and i went to the local hill to see if he was there but he wasn’t. I often wonder if he developed a fetish for them after that.

Now i own around 15, from first generation knee length with the slit pocket on the right side to multiple royal blue, yellow, white, red, orange, navy, green, pink and blue, red white and blue ones and some matching over trousers. I want to collect one of each colour in zip up and over the head but they are getting harder and harder to find and even more expensive.

If anyone has an yellow or red over the head they wish to sell in medium or large...........
Lets get swishy!
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

Brings back memories of when I was at school in the late 70's and early 80's. Lots of the girls I was at school with wore them smocks or zip up cagoules. The yellow ones were less common, wish I could find one now, it would be good to find a cagoule in a charity shop.
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

By "smock" I presume you mean the ones that you had to pull over your head with no full length zip on the front? I had one, although it was only generic not Peter Storm. It was green nylon with a shiny rubbery lining. I loved having to put it over my head to get it on and off, but really wanted a navy blue cagoule with full length white zip and the two white stripes down the arms - for some reason I thought they looked really cool. When there was no plastic to be seen the next best thing was a cagouled girl zipped up with a the shiny nylon pulled tight across her ample chest.