lovely new rainwear find

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
mason

lovely new rainwear find

Post by mason »

Yesterday I visited "Lost and Found" in Fitzroy. It was the first time I'd been there for something like 2 months after returning from the Philippines. It's not so much a "shop" as a collection of stalls selling retro and vintage clothing, furniture, movie memorabilia, a little bit of everything, really .... all under one roof. Stallholders pay rent based on how much space their "stalls" occupies. Occasionally, very occasionally, someone actually has some rainwear for sale: and so it happened yesterday.

Can you imagine my surprise, then delight when I noticed the unmistakable shine of vintage PVC in between fusty old faux fur jackets, parkas and assorted other crap?

It wasn't a Rukka. That would have been too much to hope for. But it was nearly as good: a lovely, cotton-backed chocolate brown (long) PVC raincoat dating from the very late sixties or early seventies! The PVC is so thick and heavy, just unbelievable really. Although it's got no hood, it's a very heavy coat.

The best bit? The price!! $65.00 ... the seller had no idea of its true worth (and I certainly wasn't going to let on about it either).

The slightly alternatively dressed salesgirl was very impressed with my purchase and we actually got to chatting about it while she rang up the sale. I told her how much I liked old vintage raincoats like these and she actually (enthusiastically) agreed, and she commented on how waterproof they are. We both agreed that they just do not make them like that anymore either. She even wanted me to try it on in front of her! (but sadly, it did not fit me) I also told her that I owned several more like this one which I wear a lot when it's wet.

Maybe I should ask her out for a date ... She certainly seemed very interested.