weathervain

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
Slyfox

weathervain

Post by Slyfox »

Hi,
All this week I have been working in Enfield and the route that I have been taking has taken me past Weathervain in Kew.
The first day I stopped and took a couple of pics of the front of the shop in the early hours of the morning! (04:00)
I thought that on the way back I might pop in and see if there was anything I liked (everything). I finally found somewhere to parked and went to the front door of the Shop only to find it locked! There was a sign say " for assistance, please go to the restaurant 4 door door down the road or phone 078******". Well I thought that they must have had a long lunch because it was about 14:30 ish. I decide that I would return next day. I returned the next day and found the same on the door, so I thought maybe I have got there lunch period mixed up and gave up. I returned on Thursday about 15:45 thinking they would be there by then. This time the sign had the extra text of " interlink 2 parcels a Q-verde" this is the restaurant. I didn't bother in the end. I'm not really interested in purchasing from a shop that asks you to go into a restaurant probably with a few people in and asking to see the person running the shop with the raincoats in!! And also can't be bothered to tell customers that they aren't actually open. I feel sorry for the poor so and so who has traveled quite a distance and does not have the courage or nerve to go and chase the person running the close shop!!!! Very Poor Weathervain Very Poor.
Regards
A peed off Slyfox

P.s here one of the pics
delboy

Re: weathervain

Post by delboy »

I visited Weathervain some three weeks ago in the afternoon and must admit I was disappointed with the macs on show. The lady did not seem interested in encouraging me to buy and when I spoke with her she said business had not been good over the past few months so I wonder if they are struggling at the moment.

I was interested in a PU trenchcoat and they only had few on the rail and the ones they had were small sizes. They appeared to have plenty SBR trenchcoats so one wonders if these are not selling well at the moment as they are expensive.

Delboy
jackie66

Post by jackie66 »

I am sorry but I have to put in a reply here. I bought 3 macks from weathervain. The hooded SBR trenchcoat is a very stiff item, and the hood cannot be easily pushed back. It does the job OK but is uncomfortable.

THe rubberized satin mack had fly buttoning despite button through being requested. The hood is a male anorak type despite a female square cut hood being requested. The seam taping on the red rubber is black and looks a mess.

The red cotton mack was made the same as the satin one. This means that they do not listen when orders are made. If they cannot supply my requested garments despite the high price, then I will no longer buy rainwear from them
latexstorm

Post by latexstorm »

jackie66 wrote:I am sorry but I have to put in a reply here. I bought 3 macks from weathervain. The hooded SBR trenchcoat is a very stiff item, and the hood cannot be easily pushed back. It does the job OK but is uncomfortable.

THe rubberized satin mack had fly buttoning despite button through being requested. The hood is a male anorak type despite a female square cut hood being requested. The seam taping on the red rubber is black and looks a mess.

The red cotton mack was made the same as the satin one. This means that they do not listen when orders are made. If they cannot supply my requested garments despite the high price, then I will no longer buy rainwear from them
That's amazing. At those prices, every detail should be perfect. And those aren't just little details you mention -- they're essential. Especially the seam taping, since that makes the difference between good raingear and a leaky disaster.
doreen

Post by doreen »

jackie66 wrote:I am sorry but I have to put in a reply here. I bought 3 macks from weathervain. The hooded SBR trenchcoat is a very stiff item, and the hood cannot be easily pushed back. It does the job OK but is uncomfortable.

So the obvious question to ask is why did you accept the orders?

I've bought twice from Weathervain, the last occasion being about 6 months ago when I bought a SBR double breasted mac. I went into the shop and explained what I wanted - which included explaining that I am a TV so was looking for a female fitting - and I thought that they were incredibly helpful.

I picked up the mac about 4 weeks later and it was absolutely fine - I work in fashion anyway, so can spot a poor quality garment - but this certainly lived up to expectations. I also had a long chat to the assistant there about the shop and their history, and really have no complaints whatsoever.

My impression was that they were quite busy: their order book looked to be quite full and a steady succession of customers arrived while I was there.

I wish them all the best, and look forward to returning.
ltnylon

Post by ltnylon »

hi mack lovers,
I wanted a new mackintosh last year, being in the area, I phoned Weather Vain in Kew and asked if they minded TV,s coming in dressed to look, they said they had a lot of TV customers and thats fine, so I told them I would be in approx 12 noon, dressed and wearing a long green dannimac, look out for me.
I pulled into a laybye a few miles out and changed en femme, a grey turtle neck long sleeve wool dress, calf length, black patent shoes, sensible make up, deep red lips and blonde shoulder length wig, then drove to Kew all dressed and excited,, what a boost that is,
I parked across a couple of streets from the shop and walked in to a nod of greeting from the owner and two male customers viewing. I kept my voice low and as sweet as you can?? and started to look at the SBR and satin macks, I could feel two pairs of male eyes on me the whole time and it was quite arousing.
I slipped off my cotton Dannimac and browsed along the black sbr mack rail, stopping to check sizes, finally found a long Hussar double breasted mackintosh my size, tried it on with much rubber rustling, thought it was a bit large, so tried on another size up and checked the mirror for fit,, to my surprise one of the male shoppers piped up," that onea is a better fit, looks better a bit big" he said, then came over to view the finished article,
"not sure" I said quietly," think I might try a belted mackintosh also", which he quickly found for me and helped me slip into it.. "looks loveley" he said, "wish my wife would wear one for me" and offered to help with the belt tightening,, standing back he just smiled and said, "sorry didnt mean to bother you"
"I like a second opinion I said, cant make a mistake at this price and it has to work when I wear it out"
I then kept the shiny black mackintosh on and found a matching SBR sou wester and with the ensemble complete and popping the collar up I asked his opinion, " well, does it work for you?" at which he just blushed and said "oh definetly", so that was it.
I kept the mack on, put the sou wester in my bag along with my old coat and strutted out the shop feeling magical with every step as I clip clopped back to the car enjoying the odd passerbye glance in the bright sun shine as my mack glistened as i walked,
Driving back out of town I stayed dressed and loved the smell of strong rubber in the car, out in the country I stopped by a field & took a few photographs to enjoy the memory later,
shame I had no one close to enjoy it with really.
So well done Weather Vain of Kew, a memorable visit for 3 of us anyway.
Bandilo

Post by Bandilo »

Hello Slyfox and all other fans of Wethervain,
I was there 2 weeks ago and wrote about our days in London and Weathervain.
If you are interested, have a look in my post “Last night of the Proms”
Bandilo