so what mac did you wear yesterday

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
matron69

Re: so what mac did you wear yesterday

Post by matron69 »

It sounds ok to me Video is good for motion capture and yes trains planes and buses are good!

Paul
neil

Post by neil »

Of course it's impossible to know what is going on in another person's head,but I don't find this stalkerish.
If I were filming it would be the coat that would be of interest;the person wearing it would be incidental and interchangeable.
To me this is much less intrusive than having a fixation on a sports or entertainment celebrity,and many people have those.
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

I went on a coach trip to London over the weekend with my wife and 3 other married couples visiting Windsor Castle on Saturday and Buckingham palace on Sunday.

There were a few spots of rain on Saturday when we were walking around Windsor but the only raincoat of any interest to me was worn by a young man in a queue, it was a long red see-through raincoat which was buttoned up and the hood was up. There were quite a few nylon jackets but I'm not interested in those.

Rain showers were forcast for the Sunday so I took my A4 see-through plastic jacket from PVC-U-Like. At the end of the tour inside Buckingham Palace we found ouselves outside in the palace garden. Just as we were leaving, we could feel some rain in the air so I put on my jacket, zipped it up and pulled up the hood. Apart from one of our female companions, who put on a thin nylon jacket, none of the other six, including my wife, had any sort of rainwear. As the rain got heavier I couldn't help chuckling to myself as I watched them getting soaked. I felt really good and didn't care what anyone thought about how I looked but at the same time I felt dismayed as the only other type of "rainwear" that I saw was hundreds of people wearing those pathetic thin disposable polythene ponchos which were being blown about in the wind and offering very little protection from the rain. My wife and two other women bought yet another cheap umbrella, one of which broke within a few minutes.

One interesting thing is that these people have seen me wearing that plastic jacket on a few occassions and they no longer make any comments and it now seems quite a natural thing to wear. Also, I didn't detect any strange looks and had no comments from anyone. I hope that encourages others to wear their rainwear in public.

Regards,
Jeff.
pacamac2

Post by pacamac2 »

What a pleasure too read from Jeff...obviously a mac enthusiast...that without fear of what others might think(or say) wore his mac as the rain got heavier...well protected as others walked about in "pathetic thin disposable polythene ponchos"

I couldn"t have described that better myself

They would rather buy a polythene poncho which is described as "emergency rainwear" or a cheap umbrella....stops raining they throw them away or find the ponchos tear beyond repair

So what is it with the human race these days.....how many wear a mac even in the wettest of days.....and here"s a question for those who put some interesting comments on Rainwear Central and similar sites

Do you wear a mac when you go out...if not then why not?

Is it that you think people will make some sort of comment...give you a weird look...if they do then so be it..it is their decision

Have we got to the stage when we think what others think before we wear a mac?

Me...I wear a mac when I go out...even when it is dry but perhaps a "nip in the air"....my nylon mac gets an outing...as regards the colder days my Trenchcoat...I have even had my ex wife saying..."You look smart" and for me looking smart?????...more casual than smart even though I say it myself

Have too admit my collection of ladies macs have to be kept for indoor wearing as the colour and design do give the game away that they are ladies macs

When I go out...if it is just a walk into town or out for the day I take my nylon mac with me..just in case and must say I think back too when the unexpected showers caught us out I was prepared.....slipped it on whilst others run for cover

So who had the last laugh...me in my lightweight nylon mac or those who decided it was cool too get wet and walk about like drowned rats

I hope this along with Jeff"s comments will encourage all you "mac enthusiasts" out there who would have to give it a second thought before they go out in a mac to just put it on and go

As you walk along...hands in pockets,,,,feeling the texture of the mac.....you will wish you had done it before...no one will give you a second look...if they do..that is their decision

You will return home feeling good...just wanting tomorrow too get here so you can wear your mac again outdoors

Happy mac wearing to one and all
rainfash

Post by rainfash »

Hi Taffmac,

when you sawthe young man in the queue, what type of see-through raincoat did he wear ?
Was it a shiny glass clear red raincoat, or a matt frosty seethrough red raincoat ?
I just ask, because I have a same kind of raincoat which I used to wear in public when it rains.

See http://www.flickr.com/photos/87934922@N ... otostream/

Was it like this one ? I am quite curious, because I hope that these kind of shiny see-through PVC raincoats might be getting more and more popular, even by the younger people.

At least I hope so. On festivals or open-air events many people wear this cheap and unpratical polythene raincoats, but they look quite similar to the much better and more thicker vinyl raincoats from Plastico or PVC-U-Like. I assume that shiny see-through vinyl macs are more wearable in public than other vinyl macs.

What do you think ? Is my observation wrong ?
matron69

Post by matron69 »

When Colleen and I go say to an airshow or country show Colleen tends to wear either one of her nylon macs with a hood or a pvc mac with a hood and an umbrella. I usually wear one of my nylon macs or a nylon poncho if I have the camera with me. As it keeps the camera dry.

If we are out and about in the city Colleen either wears her long red soft touch mac from Rainmac.com or her pvc mac from rainmac.com.
I tend to wear a matching blue mac from Rainmac.com We are both warm and dry if it does rain.

We have never had any looks or comments though when Colleen wears her pvc macs guys and girls do look at her but never had any comments as yet.

Paul
Taffmac

Post by Taffmac »

Hello Rainfash,

The red plastic raincoat I saw was similar in style to the one in your link but it was not shiny, it was a dull matt finish. My personal opinion is that matt finishes are less conspicuous than shiny finishes but others might disagree. It looked like an inexpensive raincoat but it was more substantial than those cheap and nasty polythene things that get thrown away after being worn once.

I am hoping for more rain soon so that I can wear my see-through Jeantex men's mac with the detachable hood. I am also waiting for an opportunity to wear my see-through Jeantex men's poncho outdoors.

My wife has just gone out so I think I'll pick out something from my collection to wear, possibly the rose coloured double breasted mac by Montcler.

Regards,
Jeff.
hotwilly

Post by hotwilly »

Quote "My wife has just gone out so I think I'll pick out something from my collection to wear, possibly the rose coloured double breasted mac by Montcler"

Enjoy - wearing what under it may I ask??
Broad minded enough to acknowledge we all enjoy different things:)
merv

Post by merv »

In answer to the question of wearing rainwear out. i will often wear a plastic raincoat out if it is raining. Obviously choose mens types in black/grey/blue, alternatively if its just a bit damp but not really raining will settle for a nylon rainjacket. Just a case of wearing what is appropriate for the weather.
matron69

Post by matron69 »

Merv I agree with you if you went out in say a bright yellow or some outlandish colour and you are a guy then I am sure the comments would flow and the stares start.

Black Grey and blue for guys yes I agree they look smart maybe a green to

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MENS-MILITARY ... 2c56d0c8b8

That is my new green nylon mac it is a darker green than shown in the photo and is dated on the collar 1990.

Photos to follow later of it

So nylon or pvc macs for us guys spread the word!
Be brave!
Wear a mac!
Start a facebook campaign!
Paul