Where to find fabric like what PCV-U-Like has

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
LC Creations

Where to find fabric like what PCV-U-Like has

Post by LC Creations »

I know how to sew, and, I would like to sew my own raincoat someday. The problem is that I cannot find the type of pvc/vinyl fabric that PVC-U-Like has for their solid colors. The other problem is that I'm in the United States so where would I find this in the US? I have been on ebay and bought what I thought was PVC but was really just lined and is not really shiny. It also had paper like linen on the other side. I want 100% PVC Plastic Vinyl etc...
MissRachel

Re: Where to find fabric like what PCV-U-Like has

Post by MissRachel »

Hello LC Creations! i am a sewer and have tried to do the same thing: find soft, nice PVC. Here in TX I have not found it yet. There are several places downtown that have a heavy PVC but no clear.

The closest thing I have found were shower curtains in Wal-Mart but that is not except able.
If you missed any of my rain-wear videos have a look here... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCplUP6 ... GRFRzPWLfg
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

I thought that you had to heat seal seams on unbacked PVC (plastic) as they tear apart when sewn. I don't sew myself (I'm not a sewer!) but had seen this mentioned online in a few places. I have some PUL jeans and they are sealed rather than sewn, except on the zipper.
Rainworshipper

Post by Rainworshipper »

I am in the u.k. but a type of fabric that might be good is the tarpaulins used on small boats, lorries, etc. I think it is pvc coated both sides and rather thicker than the fabric pvc u like use, but it seems quite supple and smooth. I think that you are right Jellyman in that the seams should be welded rather than sewn or the stitching will simply tear apart.
Johnnyrbr

Post by Johnnyrbr »

About two years ago I bought here in the UK one of the clear PVC sheets market traders use to put round their stalls.I made the excuse to my wife who knows nothing of my love for such, that I wanted some for the garden [which I did]. You can get them in various sizes. It is wonderful, though thick it is very supple and shiny, and to my delight has a wonderful smell. They are also reasonably cheap for what they are. Agree with others, if sewn would tear easily.
Soon after buying it wife was in hospital overnight so took opportunity of going to bed with some of it wrapped round me, [notice did not say "go to sleep in it].
JellyMan

Post by JellyMan »

Many years ago I bought two yards of clear plastic on a roll from a department store in their haberdashery department. Many shops sell the odd roll along with normal materials so worth a try and you can always check out the fabric feel and weight before purchase. I believe they stock these for people to make Sofa protectors, table covers, suit covers etc. Probably no good for the US abut Dumelm do many varieties on the roll, although they tend to be stiffer but some are quite thin.
raincoatboy

Post by raincoatboy »

MissRachel wrote: April 13th, 2020, 7:30 pm Hello LC Creations! i am a sewer and have tried to do the same thing: find soft, nice PVC. Here in TX I have not found it yet. There are several places downtown that have a heavy PVC but no clear.

The closest thing I have found were shower curtains in Wal-Mart but that is not except able.
I guess it depends on what you like. I have 5 glass clear shower curtains with a little weight to them. I've used all 5 as bed covers before.
LC Creations

Post by LC Creations »

I'm not looking for clear I'm looking for non clear!!!!!
luvcapes&macks

Post by luvcapes&macks »

why not email pvc-u-like , they sell their materials by the yard/metre
pvculike

Post by pvculike »

luvcapes&macks wrote: April 16th, 2020, 3:06 pm why not email pvc-u-like , they sell their materials by the yard/metre
At last the voice of reason!