Any shops like South Bucks Rainwear Company exist now.

All rainwear discussions in general or that do not fit into other categories.
KlepperGuy

Any shops like South Bucks Rainwear Company exist now.

Post by KlepperGuy »

Hi,
Sadly since the demise of the South Bucks Rainwear Company all those years ago, do you know if there is anyone out there selling loose fitting, rubber pants either latex or softex rubber.

I remember a company in Cornwall selling something like them.

Much of what SBR Co. sold was Malaysian rubberwear when it came to pants.........do these pants still exist and are they sold by anyone ?

Would love to know and if possible buy some.

Thanks
Klepperguy
blackmacjay

Re: Any shops like South Bucks Rainwear Company exist now.

Post by blackmacjay »

Try Weathervain which is a website these days and they will oblige.
Rubbersocks1999

Post by Rubbersocks1999 »

South Bucks Rainwear may have closed down. But I believe that they now have a web based business in Cornwall.

Try this link.

http://cornwallrainwear.co.uk/index.php
cammacg

Post by cammacg »

There is a company that sells pure rubber pants. They are basically incontinence wear, and are bloomers, with elasticated waist and legs, but very roomy. A delight to wear.
cammacg

Post by cammacg »

I should have said that the incontinence suppliers are called Drylife. Sorry about that.
KlepperGuy

Post by KlepperGuy »

Thanks for the info.

Klepperguy
MacRobin

Post by MacRobin »

Super thread you’ve started here KlepperGuy. And thanks to Rubbersocks1999 for that Cornish link. Are you sure it is the same folk who ran S Bucks? I bought my first ever item from S Bucks in about 1964. It was a simple pale blue single texture Mack and it cost me £3.50, which the BoE tell me is now equivalent to £70. The Cornish site is interesting, selling latex by the metre and I recall buying 10 metres of yellow rubber sheeting from S Bucks as my next purchase and while I was figuring out what to do with it, I found that by holding one end between the knees and then loosely winding the length around the body like an enormous toga, it eventually enveloped the head and was a supreme way to get off to sleep, eventually. I might try 10 metres of red latex from them. Or black.

I have embarked on a lengthy project and the aim is a book (a kind of modern version of Maurice North’s “The Outer Fringe of Sex” which was a quaint title for a book on rubber fetishism in 1971. I aim to dig out more on the origins of rubber and Mack fetishism in the 19th century. Maurice North quotes an advert in a London newspaper 1870 for a Mackintosh nightshirt with hood and I’ve seen that requoted in other books without a citation to the newspaper. I have access to certain newspaper and report and book digital archives back to 18th cent and I can’t find this one (yet). I can’t imagine anyone buying such an item unless they knew what they were doing. Unless they were good against bed bugs.

Out of interest, I came across another firm who advertised in 1970 and 1971 who then vanished. I wasn’t aware of them at the time possibly because I didn’t read the Times nor Daily Mail, where they advertised, aiming for a spread. They were called Vedamacs, 5 Castilian Terrace, Northampton and the first ad I found was in D.M. Create a storm. Midi Mackintosh. Shiny black rubber 10 Guineas, i.e. £160 now. A year later in the Times, it was Ladies and Gents hooded cat suits lightweight £9, soft latex £12.50, bikini briefs £1.25, rubber stockings £3 and 25p for brochure. Looks very much like a reseller from domestic premises. I just took a walk using Google Street view down Castilian Terrace, which looks Victorian/Edwardian brick, done up, some houses over painted and a silver Merc outside No 5, which looks empty. Definitely not a rubber raincoat factory . . . . I’d guess Vedamacs was a name constructed out of names of business partners, e.g. Vera and Daniel. Who knows? Anyway, I hope they had a bloody good time together and in business.
WealdenMac

Post by WealdenMac »

I remember Vedamacs from the time I first got acquainted with the scene in the early 1970's. They published a small magazine called "Rain" with what might be termed "girl next door" type pictures. I think I probably have a copy somewhere alongside the odd "Rainwear Review"-larger, more glossy and published in Bedford IIRC-and my favourite-Gayetime Mackintoshes Magazine. There is some material about the contemporary scene in Gillian Freeman's 1967 book "The Undergrowth of Literature". I have a copy of Maurice North's book and have seen but never owned copies of the earlier, and arguably more controversial, "Rubber News", whose publisher was imprisoned for the newly-invented common law offence of "conspiracy to corrupt public morals". This latter was alluded to once in one of Bernard Braden's TV programmes that we were watching as a family. I did my best to look nonchalant.